Forum: Ruby on Rails Problems building mysql gem

3b1daae9f655c5dba51ff1cdf03f1bef?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Stabenfeldt (Guest)

I´m having problems building and installing the mysql gem on a Fedora
Core 4 (Linux) server.

# gem install mysql
Attempting local installation of 'mysql'
Local gem file not found: mysql*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'mysql'
can't find header files for ruby.
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
mysql-2.7 for inspection.
   ruby extconf.rb install mysql\n

Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out

I get the same results after running "gem cleanup" as well.

# cd /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7
#ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config
can't find header files for ruby.

I would be very grateful to all help, suggestions and tips! :)

Best regards,
Martin Stabenfeldt

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-linux]

$ gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (1.1.5)
     Service layer for easy email delivery and testing.

actionpack (1.11.2)
     Web-flow and rendering framework putting the VC in MVC.

actionwebservice (1.0.0)
     Web service support for Action Pack.

activerecord (1.13.2)
     Implements the ActiveRecord pattern for ORM.

activesupport (1.2.5)
     Support and utility classes used by the Rails framework.

rails (1.0.0)
     Web-application framework with template engine, control-flow layer,
     and ORM.

rake (0.7.0)
     Ruby based make-like utility.

sources (0.0.1)
     This package provides download sources for remote gem installation
E07ae8ce20cafb107abefa4a7fd326b6?d=identicon&s=25 Friedrich Dominicus (friedrich)
on 2006-03-11 15:41
Martin Stabenfeldt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I�m having problems building and installing the mysql gem on a Fedora
> Core 4 (Linux) server.
>
> # gem install mysql
> Attempting local installation of 'mysql'
> Local gem file not found: mysql*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'mysql'
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> can't find header files for ruby.

You have to install the needed files for ruby development. I don't know
what it's called in Fedora in Debian it is:
ruby1.8-dev

Regards
Friedrich
On Mar 11, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

> Martin Stabenfeldt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I�m having problems building and installing the mysql gem on a
>> Fedora
>> Core 4 (Linux) server.
>>
>> # gem install mysql
>> Attempting local installation of 'mysql'
>> can't find header files for ruby.

> You have to install the needed files for ruby development. I don't
> know
> what it's called in Fedora in Debian it is:
> ruby1.8-dev

Thanks, I installed ruby-devel and it worked! :)

Regards,
Martin