Forum: Ruby-Forum.com First impressions of RForum

09a133b482923f27ba04cf5034835628?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Mak (pmak)
on 2006-03-11 06:23
I've been a long time mwForum user, a forum written in Perl that follows
simplicity principles (unlike more mainstream forums such as vB, phpBB,
SMF, ikon, IPB). Here's my first impressions of RForum:

* The list of forums in the left-hand side of the screen seems like a
waste of screen space. It's also hard to read because the lines are
wrapped like this:

Rails
Engines
Rails
Spinoffs
Rails
France

so it's hard to tell where the name of one forum begins and the name of
the next one ends.

* The <textarea> that I am currently typing in makes the screen too
wide, such that a horizontal scrollbar appears in 800x600 resolution.
(There'd be enough room if there wasn't that list of forums in the
left-hand side.)

* A checkbox below the "Submit" button in the form I'm typing that
allows me to set e-mail notification would be nice.

* Why are the visited and unvisited link colors forced to be the same?
This makes it harder for me to tell which topics I've already read.
A402df36168b81b31c17adcbb5ae8cf4?d=identicon&s=25 Pistos Christou (pistos)
on 2006-03-13 17:00
Philip Mak wrote:
> * The <textarea> that I am currently typing in makes the screen too
> wide, such that a horizontal scrollbar appears in 800x600 resolution.

+1 vote for a narrower <textarea>.

While we're on the topic of suggestions: I sure would like a Preview
button, too.