Forum: Ruby Images for card game?

67f072c6a2ccfa66b6a7e4e130735ddc?d=identicon&s=25 Einar Høst (Guest)

Sorry, this obviously doesn't belong here, but still: for my "Einar
learns Ruby card game", I need some card images that are "free to use".
Currently I'm doing development with some images "borrowed" from
FreeCell on MS Windows. In general, where do open-source-developers
(open-sorcerors?) get their images from? Does anyone have any
suggestions? Alternatively, any suggestions on where to ask or search?
Googling has proven futile so far.

Kind regards (and sorry for the misplaced post)
Einar
F91f1034d620825594db83db92ca1711?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Ulm (Guest)
Einar Høst wrote:

> Sorry, this obviously doesn't belong here, but still: for my "Einar
> learns Ruby card game", I need some card images that are "free to use".
> Currently I'm doing development with some images "borrowed" from
> FreeCell on MS Windows. In general, where do open-source-developers
> (open-sorcerors?) get their images from? Does anyone have any
> suggestions? Alternatively, any suggestions on where to ask or search?
> Googling has proven futile so far.

The KDE project uses several free carddecks. You can get them via
CVS or subversion from the KDE repository. Look under
  kdegames/libkdegames/carddecks

HTH,

Michael
--
Michael Ulm
R&D Team
On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:56:54PM +0900, Michael Ulm wrote:
} Einar H?st wrote:
}
} >Sorry, this obviously doesn't belong here, but still: for my "Einar
} >learns Ruby card game", I need some card images that are "free to
use".
} >Currently I'm doing development with some images "borrowed" from
} >FreeCell on MS Windows. In general, where do open-source-developers
} >(open-sorcerors?) get their images from? Does anyone have any
} >suggestions? Alternatively, any suggestions on where to ask or
search?
} >Googling has proven futile so far.
} >
} The KDE project uses several free carddecks. You can get them via
} CVS or subversion from the KDE repository. Look under
}  kdegames/libkdegames/carddecks

I missed the original post, but you may find ajaxcards.sf.net of some
use.
(Disclaimer: It's my project and I haven't been working on it much. It
will
use AJAX at some point, but right now it only supports client-side
solitaire.)

} HTH,
} Michael
--Greg
Michael Ulm wrote:

> The KDE project uses several free carddecks. You can get them via
> CVS or subversion from the KDE repository. Look under
>  kdegames/libkdegames/carddecks

Thanks, that's definitely interesting!

- Einar
Gregory Seidman wrote:
> I missed the original post, but you may find ajaxcards.sf.net of some use.
> (Disclaimer: It's my project and I haven't been working on it much. It will
> use AJAX at some point, but right now it only supports client-side
> solitaire.)

Interesting project! However, I didn't find any way to "steal" your
images ;-)

- Einar
81d609425e306219d54d793a0ad98bce?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Moss (Guest)
My suggestion, for something as simple as a deck of cards (four suits,
13 faces) is to try your own hand at drawing them.

I know some coders think their own art as horrid (heck, I usually keep
some of my crap in full view of the public), but just play around,
have a bit of fun. Draw some quirky versions of hearts and spades,
etc, use a font for the numbers if you have to, and just go nuts on
the Ace of Spades ('cause every deck needs a custom one of those).
On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:48:43PM +0900, Einar H?st wrote:
} Gregory Seidman wrote:
} >I missed the original post, but you may find ajaxcards.sf.net of some
use.
} >(Disclaimer: It's my project and I haven't been working on it much.
It will
} >use AJAX at some point, but right now it only supports client-side
} >solitaire.)
}
} Interesting project! However, I didn't find any way to "steal" your
} images ;-)

If you actually start playing a game you will be able to use Firefox's
"Page Info" to get a list of images. I am very proud of the fact that
there
are only three. Anyway, specific links:

http://ajaxcards.sourceforge.net/cards/images/ranks.png
http://ajaxcards.sourceforge.net/cards/images/pips.png
http://ajaxcards.sourceforge.net/cards/images/faces.png

} - Einar
--Greg
Einar Høst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, this obviously doesn't belong here, but still: for my "Einar
> learns Ruby card game", I need some card images that are "free to use".
> Currently I'm doing development with some images "borrowed" from
> FreeCell on MS Windows. In general, where do open-source-developers
> (open-sorcerors?) get their images from? Does anyone have any
> suggestions? Alternatively, any suggestions on where to ask or search?
> Googling has proven futile so far.

In case anyone's interested, I found this myself:
http://david.bellot.free.fr/svg-cards/

I think it looks pretty good. I might need to cut it up and convert it
to PNG (I'm not sure how Qt/QtRuby handles SVG graphics), and then
there's licencing... but that's another headache.

- Einar