Forum: Ruby Ruby and .NET

I've written a couple Ruby programs that run on Linux using
ruby-gnome2 as the GUI toolkit.  Say I get asked to port them over to
Windows (2000 and up).

How would I go about slapping a .NET GUI frontend on it?  (I'm
assuming using .NET is the way to go these days)

Joe
33ec7e55a251c1be8d6febfd929aebbe?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Kujawa (gregarican)
Joe Van Dyk wrote:

> I've written a couple Ruby programs that run on Linux using
> ruby-gnome2 as the GUI toolkit.  Say I get asked to port them over to
> Windows (2000 and up).
>
> How would I go about slapping a .NET GUI frontend on it?  (I'm
> assuming using .NET is the way to go these days)
>

> Joe

Check out http://rubydotnet.sourceforge.net/.
455ac2a64d06dc8461f4d258d7f7e980?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Trier (Guest)
The progress on John Lam's Ruby to .NET bridge is much further along.
I would look into that.  John has done some impressive stuff:

http://www.iunknown.com

Michael
455ac2a64d06dc8461f4d258d7f7e980?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Trier (Guest)
Let me clarify, when I originally looked at it.  I haven't checked out
rubydotnet in a while.

Michael
E5c79d5a6d378dc4a26e20435be31657?d=identicon&s=25 Jamey Cribbs (Guest)
Joe Van Dyk wrote:

>I've written a couple Ruby programs that run on Linux using
>ruby-gnome2 as the GUI toolkit.  Say I get asked to port them over to
>Windows (2000 and up).
>
>How would I go about slapping a .NET GUI frontend on it?  (I'm
>assuming using .NET is the way to go these days)

Joe, just curious why you wouldn't just use the Windows version of
Ruby-Gtk2?  Is it because of look&feel?

If it's stability concerns, I've written a couple of Ruby-Gtk2 apps that
run on Windows every day and my users report no problems.

Jamey
E0ed615bd6632dd23165e045e3c1df09?d=identicon&s=25 Florian GroÃ? (Guest)
Jamey Cribbs wrote:

> Joe, just curious why you wouldn't just use the Windows version of
> Ruby-Gtk2?  Is it because of look&feel?
>
> If it's stability concerns, I've written a couple of Ruby-Gtk2 apps that
> run on Windows every day and my users report no problems.

Look&Feel are pretty much OK as well if you change the GTK renderer to
WIMP.
2c8df79b2a68a7532af01d8851f7fa2d?d=identicon&s=25 John Lam (Guest)
My RubyCLR bridge should let you do what you're looking for - the drop
that's out there in circulation now has a simple RSS reader built as a
Windows Forms 2.0 application. I've also built a non-trivial 3D Avalon
(WPF)
app using an earlier version of the bridge, although I'm just revisiting
that stuff now.

The current drop is almost 3 weeks old - it's about due for a refresh :)
My
private builds now have a ton of new features; off the top of my head
there
is:

- support for interfaces
- a lot of really cool Reflection features to make prototyping .NET code
in
irb *much* nicer
- a ton of perf and reliability work; 80% of the C++ part of the bridge
was
re-written.
- much better support for a few data binding scenarios (such as data
binding
against native Ruby arrays)
- support for generics (I don't resolve method overloads against generic
types correctly now - I'm punting that to the next release)
- proper support for array creation

-John
http://www.iunknown.com
On 3/9/06, Florian Groß <florgro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jamey Cribbs wrote:
>
> > Joe, just curious why you wouldn't just use the Windows version of
> > Ruby-Gtk2?  Is it because of look&feel?
> >
> > If it's stability concerns, I've written a couple of Ruby-Gtk2 apps that
> > run on Windows every day and my users report no problems.
>
> Look&Feel are pretty much OK as well if you change the GTK renderer to WIMP.

Hm... I'll have to see how ruby-gnome2 operates on Windows.  I really
prefer native GUI toolkits though.  I'd probably design a Windows UI
completely different than a Linux UI (and also probably different on
OS X).