Forum: Ruby Re: unicode in ruby

67bb4df2775f6a6b603347dce7119571?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Dear Michal,

> hmm, I wonder why C with a hook is called Ccaron in  keymaps..
>But I heared that in Turkish
>they use both I, I with  dot, i, and i without dot. Consequently, I is
> uppercase form of i  without dot ..

I haven't found outwhat caron means, either, although they have
otherwise
quite nice pages about diacritical signs and letters on top or
somewhere around them on Wikipedia.

I agree with you that some support of Unicode should be part of
 Ruby directly and I heard that it will be in future versions  ...
but I also think that one cannot use a computer seriously beyond
a typewriter/internet connection/music-video-player if one does
not have a compiler on it. On Windows, you can remedy this by using
gcc in Cygwin/MinGW. I once tried to install a compiler on OSX,
and didn't manage to, so this caused me to install Linux on that
machine, and eventually buy a non-Apple as the next laptop...

Concerning the I/i issue in Turkish: this can only be fixed  separately,
I think. For some languages, you find lists of the, say, 100 or so
most frequent words in  texts of that language on the internet.
Assuming that you know beforehand what languages you are going
to process, you can then let a script decide what language you  are
dealing
with based on whether you find relatively many occurences of
{"is","and","the"} or {"est","et","le",la"} etc...

Best regards,

Axel
On Mar 9, 2006, at 3:29 AM, Nuralanur@aol.com wrote:

> I once tried to install a compiler on OSX,
> and didn't manage to, so this caused me to install Linux on that
> machine, and eventually buy a non-Apple as the next laptop...

All copies of Mac OS X ship with a Developer's CD.  It installs a
compiler and much more via a Click and Drool(tm) interface.  ;)

James Edward Gray II