Forum: Ruby Ruby and XSLT

05243b2e0495d108111d1bb6711b1377?d=identicon&s=25 Derek Mahar (Guest)
What Ruby libraries are available to parse and process XSLT?  How does
each of these libraries compare to Apache Xalan for Java?

Derek
57050802d7220041a073ddb782b5cd38?d=identicon&s=25 Zeng Ke (Guest)
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-xslt/
Ruby/XSLT is a simple XSLT class based on libxml <http://xmlsoft.org/>
and libxslt <http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/>
A05601ccea95fab254fabc92c50f4b27?d=identicon&s=25 toby (Guest)
on 2006-03-15 13:32
I am trying to use ruby-xslt under windows.
Is this possible?
The install instructions seem to be for *nix only and my french isn't
very good.
A05601ccea95fab254fabc92c50f4b27?d=identicon&s=25 toby (Guest)
on 2006-03-15 15:27
After more searching on forums and other pages it seems that ruby-xslt
is very hard to install under windows. Has anyone done it before and
could point me to some instructions?

Alternativly does anyone know of another way that is easier to install
under windows. I want to do a very simple xslt transform, that reads in
a series of XML files and produces a series of html files. I am dipping
my toes into new water as i don't know a huge amount about ruby or xslt.

thanks all
52a177e9dbd3e614825aabc4e45f8cd6?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Volkmann (Guest)
On 3/15/06, toby <tobycatlin@hotmail.com> wrote:
> After more searching on forums and other pages it seems that ruby-xslt
> is very hard to install under windows. Has anyone done it before and
> could point me to some instructions?
>
> Alternativly does anyone know of another way that is easier to install
> under windows. I want to do a very simple xslt transform, that reads in
> a series of XML files and produces a series of html files. I am dipping
> my toes into new water as i don't know a huge amount about ruby or xslt.

You might be better off to use Apache Xalan or Saxon. Both are
implemented in Java and both can be invoked from the command-line. You
could run them from a Ruby script.
50ff7c4302e8103d33f0ad6c18655700?d=identicon&s=25 Pavel Smerk (Guest)
toby wrote:
> After more searching on forums and other pages it seems that ruby-xslt
> is very hard to install under windows. Has anyone done it before and
> could point me to some instructions?
>
> Alternativly does anyone know of another way that is easier to install
> under windows. I want to do a very simple xslt transform, that reads in
> a series of XML files and produces a series of html files. I am dipping
> my toes into new water as i don't know a huge amount about ruby or xslt.

If your tranformations are really simple,
http://www.martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html might inspire
you.

For instance, I didn't find any sound Ruby alternative to Perl's
HTML::Template (anything with similar logic and usage: I want to have my
templates Perl-compatible/to-Perl-transformable as far as possible),
thus I have used this approach to write my own one (a very simple
"subset", of course). It has been easy and the code is short, but quite
powerful, at least quite enough for me.

P.
A05601ccea95fab254fabc92c50f4b27?d=identicon&s=25 toby (Guest)
on 2006-03-15 16:59
thanks, guys. I'll take a look at Xalan and see what i can do.
A9b6a93b860020caf9d2d1d58c32478f?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Bamford (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 23:27 +0900, toby wrote:

> Alternativly does anyone know of another way that is easier to install
> under windows. I want to do a very simple xslt transform, that reads in
> a series of XML files and produces a series of html files. I am dipping
> my toes into new water as i don't know a huge amount about ruby or xslt.

Not that this is much help right now, but I recently did some work
bringing ruby-libxslt bindings up to date, as part of the ruby-libxml
project. Hopefully we'll be making a release imminently, and would very
much like to hear how it does with Windows (it should be fine but I
can't be sure...)

If you really want you could grab the code from CVS. See:

	http://rubyforge.org/scm/?group_id=494

If you do that, check out the whole repository because libxslt-ruby
depends on headers from libxml-ruby.
0e10bda413754e67227da097105559ac?d=identicon&s=25 Bruno Le hyaric (bubu)
on 2008-05-21 00:18
I experiment Saxon9, invoked by the command line.

It works pretty well and permits to use XSLT 2.0 abilities (group-by)
and saxon:evaluate()
Existing account

No account? Register here.