Forum: Ruby on Rails mod_fcgid first request slow

F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)
I have posted this before with not much response so I am posing the
question
again.  Is there a solution for this very apparent issue with mod_fcgid
that
the "First connection is incredibly slow".  It seems its b/c mod_fcgid
doesnt keep at least 1 persistent connection around that this first
connection needs to start up and then every other request is fast.

 Is there a solution to this?  This doesnt seem like a very production
ready
situation for anyone to be in with a website.  Are people moving to SCGI
b/c
of this ?

 thanks
adam
78d45b303250a077fc65fd61e00277ed?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Lim (Guest)
You could always cron a request to the server.

I actually have a Nagios server making requests so that I can monitor
the status anyway.

HTH.

Jon

--
http://www.snowblink.co.uk/
F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)

This is one area that I really think rails is lacking and is causing so
much
lashback from other dev communities like java who have things like
tomcat
with a very stable apache module (mod_jk).  Rails desparately needs a
mod_rails or something to alleviate the hundreds of headaches associated
with this and to make it fully 3 tier.  Not to mention over half the
population uses apache and constant recommendations of using lighttpd
with
apache I personally think doesnt make a whole lot of sense since apache
is
so widespread common and well known.  I dont see why we should have to
proxy
a web server to another webserver b/c apache support is somewhat
"broken".

adam
On 3/8/06, Adam Denenberg <straightflush@gmail.com> wrote:
> apache I personally think doesnt make a whole lot of sense since apache is
> so widespread common and well known.  I dont see why we should have to proxy
> a web server to another webserver b/c apache support is somewhat "broken".
>
> adam

The folks responsible for it are working on it:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/articles/2005/12/29/...

--
Rick Olson
http://techno-weenie.net