Forum: Ruby on Rails stupid basic concept problem

3e382e6681210e388ba26575ba7aca71?d=identicon&s=25 thomasl (Guest)
on 2006-03-08 11:50
Hy there
I just saw some rails videos.
*NICE!!!*
So I got this basic principle question: Now I created my jawdropping
application.
But it's just running localy. Can I kind of export my project to
php&sql. so I can import the database and upload the php to my server to
running it "outside"?
Or do I have a provider that runs ruby?

I dont get this very basic problem. All I see is the ruby code etc.

THX in advance, you guys rocks
greetings from snowy zürich switzerland
tlz
32ba8c5c148da2653028dc7f8066b810?d=identicon&s=25 Doug Bromley (ashiro)
Hello Snowy

PHP is a different language entirely and its got nothing to do with Ruby
or
Rails.
You can use the application as is by finding a Ruby on Rails compatible
host.  "A Small Orange" (www.asmallorange.com) is one I use and
recommend.
There are others which you can find out about at the Rails website. I
would
also suggest the "Agile Web Development with Rails" book as that will
answer
many of your questions.

Regards

Doug

---------
http://blog.straw-dogs.co.uk
9ab183bb240ffd3a3966d5a615b4bdeb?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Ross (Guest)
thomasl wrote:
> Hy there
> I just saw some rails videos.
> *NICE!!!*
> So I got this basic principle question: Now I created my jawdropping
> application.
> But it's just running localy. Can I kind of export my project to
> php&sql. so I can import the database and upload the php to my server to
> running it "outside"?
> Or do I have a provider that runs ruby?

You will need a host that supports Ruby on Rails. There are many hosting
providers listed on the wiki [1].

I use Dreamhost [2] to host a Rails project I'm developing.

   1. http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/RailsWebHosts
   2. http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?psross

--
Philip Ross
Ba3a00606eb530dcab2c4a6a59bf366d?d=identicon&s=25 Alain Ravet (Guest)

   > .. my jawdropping application ..is just running localy. Can I
kind of export my
   > project to php&sql. so I can import the database and upload the
php to my server to
   > running it "outside"?

If 1/ your "outside" is a company intranet, and 2/you can find a
windows server on the network, you could just use InstantRails to
serve your app to the company. That would be the very simplest way.

Otherwise, you're right.
   > Or do I have a provider that runs ruby?
.., you'd have to find a Rails capable hoster.

Alain