Forum: Ruby Ruby Weekly News 20th February - 5th March 2006

0c054cee68f9a50d18af7d7f1e526a15?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/20060305.html

Ruby Weekly News 20th February - 5th March 2006
you
   by Tim Sutherland.

   [ Contribute to the next newsletter ]

Articles and Announcements
==========================

     * RubyConf 2006, October 20-22, Denver!
     ---------------------------------------

       David A. Black: "The directors of Ruby Central, Inc. are pleased
       announce that the sixth International Ruby Conference (RubyConf
2006)
       will be held in the Denver, Colorado area, October 20-22, 2006."

     * Registration now open for Silicon Valley Ruby Conference

       David A. Black also announced that registration is open for the
       Silicon Valley Ruby Conference, to be held April 22-23rd 2006.
(It's
       unrelated to RubyConf.)

       "This event is a co-production of SDForum and Ruby Central, Inc."

     * Writers needed for The Ruby Bookshelf project

       Julian I. Kamil asked for help for converting open-licensed Ruby
       documents (tutorials etc.) into his Pandora format ("a simple web
       document and application platform written in Ruby").

       > ... - a good understanding of usability principles to be able
       > convert existing (sometimes hard to read) contents into Pandora
       > books that are more structured, more readable, and more usable;
and

     * Rails on the Mac - Apple Article
     ----------------------------------

       Jim Freeze linked to an article at developer.apple.com that
introduces
       Ruby on Rails on MacOS X.

     * Ruby metablog for Korean rubyists
     -----------------------------------

       Minkoo Seo proudly announced rubyist.or.kr, "a meta blog for
Korean
       rubyists, whose primary goal is to provide useful documents and
       information to Korean Ruby programmers."

     * Canada on Rails announces location, and a site redesign

       Nathaniel S. H. Brown announced that Canada on Rails have decided
on a
       location for the upcoming conference YVR06 (mid-April 2006), and
       redesigned their website, eh.

       > BCIT Downtown Campus has been chosen, with a maximum capacity
of 300
       > people. With already over 50% of the seats filled, be sure to
       > register soon or you might miss out on one of the most exciting
       > technical events to come to Vancouver.
       >
       > YVR06 will be twice the size of the last conference by Open
Source
       > Events held last June, and with 4 times the amount of speakers,
       > during the two days. All for only $250 with the early bird
discount.

User Group News
===============

     * Toronto Ruby User Group, 5 Mar 2006 Meeting

       Mike Stok said that the Toronto Ruby User Group were having their
       March 2006 meeting on Sunday 5th at the Linux Caffe.

     * Calgary Ruby Users Society (CRUSERS)
     --------------------------------------

       Alexey Verkhovsky announced that the CRUSERS (Calgary Ruby Users
       Society) had their first meeting on Feburary 23rd, featuring a
Watir
       presentation by Paul Rogers and donuts thanks to ThoughtWorks
Canada.

       "So, if you like Ruby and live in Calgary, you are most welcome
       join us."

     * First Pune Ruby Group Meet
     ----------------------------

       Dibya Prakash announced the first Ruby / RoR meeting for the Pune
Ruby
       Group: February 25th 2006. (Pune is a city in India.)

       As well as introductions to Ruby and Rails, agile development and
       reverse engineering will be discussed.

     * March Ruby events in the SF Bay Area
     --------------------------------------

       Rich Morin sent out the list of Ruby events in the San Francisco
Bay
       Area in March 2006.

       "Sadly, no South Bay Ruby events have been announced. C'mon,
guys,
       make something happen..."

       There are events on the 14th and 22nd.

     * Next meeting of codefesters in Columbia Maryland

       The codefesters of Columbia, Maryland are meeting every Monday.
       Initially they met to learn Rails together, but have now expanded
into
       non-Rails Ruby.

       "At this time we've got some people working on the rails project
and
       other folks learning how to do Test Driven Development with
Ruby."

Quote of the Week
=================

     * Re: [QUIZ] Current Temperature (#68)
     --------------------------------------

       Dave Burt's entry in the "Current Temperature" Ruby Quiz. You'll
just
       have to read it.

Threads
=======

  is there a seperate mailing list for novices?

   John Maclean: "After having writen many lines of bloat.... Is there a
   seperate list for noobs for embarassingly simple questions and such?"

   Patrick Hurley:
   > To second what has already been said, don't run away, join the fun.
This
   > is a nice place, because matz is nice. Start asking questions and
soon
   > you will be answering them as well.

  _No_ Ruby Weekly News 20th - 26th February 2006

   Tim Sutherland announced a week without Ruby Weekly News.
   (Hey, that was last week.)

   Did you know that anyone can contribute to the next newsletter,
simply by
   going to www.rubyweeklynews.org, clicking the "contribute" button,
and
   then summarising a few threads?

   It's especially helpful now that there are SO MANY threads every week
;-)

  capistrano
  ----------

   A question was asked about "Capistrano", which provides this
newsletter
   with an excuse to note that this is the new name of SwitchTower.

   The renaming is due to an unpleasant company sending a Cease & Desist
   letter to Jamis Buck, saying they have a trademark on "SwitchTower"
   (apparently they have a product relating to web conferencing that
involves
   what they call a "SwitchTower Network").

  AJAX Patterns Blog
  ------------------

   Pat Eyler:
   > Christian Gross, the author of AJAX and Best Practices, runs a blog
at
   > http://www.devspace.com/ and has started a poll asking which
language he
   > should port his AJAX patterns to next. (They are currently
available for
   > Java and .Net).
   >
   > If anyone's interested in seeing Ruby up next, you might head over
   > the blog and cast your vote.

   Three days later there was a new post on Christian's blog, wondering
what
   was going on. The poll went from 10 votes total, with PHP leading, to
more
   than 150 votes, 91% of which were for Ruby.

   > I thought, this can't be, what we have here is a situation where
one
   > person voted over a hundred times. Thinking that this was the case
   > inspected the log files. At that point I was awe-struck because the
IP
   > addresses that voted were scattered throughout the Internet.
   >
   > What happened? I think one of two things; One person who hacked
using an
   > army of "bots". Or somebody told somebody else in a Ruby forum and
said,
   > "Hey folks VOTE!". Until I know better I am thinking the latter.
Even
   > now it seems that Ruby people seem to be adding their votes. What
does
   > this mean? Ruby! Not that I am complaining, but interesting that
the
   > Ruby community is very active!

  dirty ranges
  ------------

   You dirty, _dirty_ ranges.

   Dirk van Deun came across some interesting behaviour when he modified
   ranges.

 >> range = "a".."z"
 "a".."z"
 >> range.min[0] = "b"
 "b"
 >> range.max[0] = "y"
 "y"
 >> range
 "b".."z"

 # Editor note: All irb session outputs in this summary have been
reformatted
 # and tweaked.
 #
 # If you're confused by the [0], then observe that
 #   s = "hello"; s[0] = "j"; puts(s)
 #  results in "jello".
 #
 # The examples could be rewritten to use foo.replace("xxx") instead of
 # foo[0] = "xxx".

   George Ogata said that the correct way to modify endpoints (if you
must)
   is with Range#begin and Range#end.

   > #begin and #end are direct accessors to the endpoint objects,
whereas
   > #max is calculated, taking into account end-closedness. It should
not be
   > surprising, then, that #max and #end return different objects.

   Regarding the common feeling of Don't Do That (George: "Ranges
themselves
   are immutable, so changing their value indirectly like that is kinda
going
   against the grain"), Dirk van Deun said that it's more subtle than
that.

 >> range = "a".."z"
 "a".."z"
 >> ary = range.to_a
 ["a", "b", "c", "d", "e", "f", "g", "h", "i", "j", "k", "l", "m",
 "n", "o", "p", "q", "r", "s", "t", "u", "v", "w", "x", "y", "z"]
 >> ary[0][0] = "z"
 "z"
 >> range
 "z".."z"

   There were a couple more posts pondering having range clone the
endpoints.

  Current Temperature (#68)
  -------------------------

   Caleb Tennis came up with the week's Ruby Quiz.

 >  Write a Ruby program such that given a certain argument to the
program it
 >  will return the current temperature of that location.  People living
in
 >  the United States may be interested in temperature by ZIP code:
 >
 >          $ ruby current_temp.rb 47201
 >          The temperature in Columbus, Indiana is 32 degrees F.
 >
 >  Other locales may want to use their own mailing codes, or city
names:

 >          $ ruby current_temp.rb madrid
 >          The temperature in Madrid, Spain is 12 degrees C.

New Releases
============

  Second drop of RubyCLR bridge

   John Lam released the second version of his RubyCLR bridge, which
provides
   for Ruby integration with .NET 2.0 (other bridges out there only use
.NET
   1.1 features).

   "To show off its features, I've built a non-trivial all-Ruby Windows
Forms
   2.0 RSS Reader application that's in the distribution."