Forum: Ruby on Rails what is the IDE tools used in the video?

5e608045ba965d3a5d6ee1a30c8933e6?d=identicon&s=25 pinnacle (Guest)
on 2006-03-07 02:50
What is the IDE tools used in the video on the homepage of the
www.rubyonrails.org?I had thought it was Komodo,however after I had
installed that i found they were different.I do think the IDE used in
the video is very cool for its autocomplete abilities especially in the
Views development.Thanks!
9efc1df9209f6964d39610223dae0faf?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Annesley (Guest)
250c9502acecb35dbde57e45430856db?d=identicon&s=25 Colin Stein (Guest)
on 2006-03-07 03:05
pinnacle wrote:
> What is the IDE tools used in the video on the homepage of the
> www.rubyonrails.org?I had thought it was Komodo,however after I had
> installed that i found they were different.I do think the IDE used in
> the video is very cool for its autocomplete abilities especially in the
> Views development.Thanks!

The text editor shown in the screencasts is MacroMate's excellent
TextMate.
There's a 30 day trial version with full functionality available on the
web-
site.

http://macromates.com/

Cheers.
5e608045ba965d3a5d6ee1a30c8933e6?d=identicon&s=25 pinnacle (Guest)
on 2006-03-07 03:29
Colin Stein wrote:
> pinnacle wrote:
>> What is the IDE tools used in the video on the homepage of the
>> www.rubyonrails.org?I had thought it was Komodo,however after I had
>> installed that i found they were different.I do think the IDE used in
>> the video is very cool for its autocomplete abilities especially in the
>> Views development.Thanks!
>
> The text editor shown in the screencasts is MacroMate's excellent
> TextMate.
> There's a 30 day trial version with full functionality available on the
> web-
> site.
>
> http://macromates.com/
>
> Cheers.

very thanksful,but what's a pity that no such kind of tools under
windows.
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
try radrails from radrails.org. I use it and like it a lot. (On Debian
Linux but it runs on windows as well using a Java jre)
-bakki
TextMate (Mac OS X only)

http://macromates.com/

-- -- Tom Mornini
On Mar 6, 2006, at 6:29 PM, pinnacle wrote:

>> The text editor shown in the screencasts is MacroMate's excellent
>> TextMate.
>> There's a 30 day trial version with full functionality available
>> on the
>> web-site.
>>
>> http://macromates.com/
>
> very thanksful,but what's a pity that no such kind of tools under
> windows.

Oh, the glee that statement gives my naughty inner-child! :-(

Welcome to the world of the Macintosh users everywhere, in reverse.

Don't misunderstand me...I'm not taking pleasure from your pain.

Also...I think you're seeing the beginning of a trend, but only
time will tell.

--
-- Tom Mornini
925c5035ff3e0005e0604c0cd869b5cf?d=identicon&s=25 Chris T (Guest)
pinnacle wrote:
> Colin Stein wrote:
>> pinnacle wrote:
>>> What is the IDE tools used in the video on the homepage of the
>>> www.rubyonrails.org?I had thought it was Komodo,however after I had
>>> installed that i found they were different.I do think the IDE used in
>>> the video is very cool for its autocomplete abilities especially in the
>>> Views development.Thanks!
>>
>> The text editor shown in the screencasts is MacroMate's excellent
>> TextMate.
>> There's a 30 day trial version with full functionality available on the
>> web-
>> site.
>>
>> http://macromates.com/
>>
>> Cheers.
>
> very thanksful,but what's a pity that no such kind of tools under
> windows.
I use jEdit, which is excellent if you use the Ruby (and few other
plug-ins). Plus it's open source. There's a good page here with a list
of recommended plug-ins for working with Ruby (and Rails) and matching
much of Textmate's functions:

http://saimonmoore.net/permalink/jedit-for-ruby-ra...
09e6ba06911a5781c04be8554f114aba?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Nichols (reggieb)
on 2006-03-07 10:44
I use TextPad which although not an IDE, is a good editor and has useful
tab highlighting (once you register RHTML as a type of HTML document).
09e6ba06911a5781c04be8554f114aba?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Nichols (reggieb)
on 2006-03-07 10:45
Rob Nichols wrote:
> I use TextPad which although not an IDE, is a good editor and has useful
> tab highlighting (once you register RHTML as a type of HTML document).
http://www.textpad.com/
09e6ba06911a5781c04be8554f114aba?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Nichols (reggieb)
on 2006-03-09 11:32
Chris T wrote:
> I use jEdit, which is excellent if you use the Ruby (and few other
> plug-ins). Plus it's open source. There's a good page here with a list
> of recommended plug-ins for working with Ruby (and Rails) and matching
> much of Textmate's functions:
>
> http://saimonmoore.net/permalink/jedit-for-ruby-ra...

Since reading this article I've had a play with jEdit with the Ruby
plug-ins and I have to agree that it is very good and I think will now
be my preferred IDE for Ruby.

However, I did have a couple of problems with database.yml and other
YAML files such as fixture definitions. jEdit was putting in tabs which
causes problem in YAML, and led to a lot of odd MySQL errors before I
realised where the problem was.
92dafea96df3ff949b426b235a19ae0e?d=identicon&s=25 ChrisT (Guest)
You can change the settings on how it handles tabs -- I have mine set to
replace tabs with 2 spaces.

Think it's under general options>editing from memory.

Chris T
6de7ba135902e959c4c731f6afa0f40d?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Ramos (Guest)
I'll have to take a look at jEdit later today. I've been using RadRails.
Still saving up for a nice macbook and then I'll pick up textmate, but
until
then I need a nice replacement for my ruby/rails ide.