Forum: Ruby capistrano

89d967359903c639d31e4cad4569f537?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie Bowman (Guest)
I'm having trouble finding the benefit of using capistrano.  I'm only
using rails for a very small blog.  Sometime in the next year I do
expect to start using rails at work.  What are the benefits of using
capistrano for small apps like my blog?

Charlie Bowman
http://www.recentrambles.com
992fe8c19bbbc27f2b562a9f96efc03d?d=identicon&s=25 Jamis Buck (Guest)
On Mar 6, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Charlie Bowman wrote:

> I'm having trouble finding the benefit of using capistrano.  I'm only
> using rails for a very small blog.  Sometime in the next year I do
> expect to start using rails at work.  What are the benefits of using
> capistrano for small apps like my blog?

The benefits are:

* Consistent deployment. Your deployment process works the same time
after time, even when you start adding more resources to host it.

* Standard practices. Your application is deployed using some
codified "best practices".

Now, that doesn't mean it is for everyone, but it works great for
lots of people. For a small, single-box application, the benefits
aren't as obvious, though. We didn't start feeling the need for
Capistrano until Basecamp began growing beyond it's single host server.

- Jamis
89d967359903c639d31e4cad4569f537?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie Bowman (Guest)
Thanks, I think I'll implement it now so that I'll be prepared when I
"really" need it.

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 06:56 +0900, Jamis Buck wrote:

> after time, even when you start adding more resources to host it.

Charlie Bowman
http://www.recentrambles.com
Ccfe7d097475a32dc3ff78d6fc42c852?d=identicon&s=25 List Recv (lstrecv)
Forgive my ignorance, but what is capistrano?  URL, please (Google just
shows me a city somewhere in California...)
On Mar 6, 2006, at 4:23 PM, listrecv@gmail.com wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance, but what is capistrano?  URL, please (Google
> just
> shows me a city somewhere in California...)

Capistrano is a utility for executing tasks in parallel on multiple
remote machines. The manual is located here:

http://manuals.rubyonrails.org/read/book/17

Hope that helps,

- Jamis
listrecv@gmail.com wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance, but what is capistrano?  URL, please (Google just
> shows me a city somewhere in California...)

Makes me think of a flock of swallows flying in formation around a
tower.... intentional, right?
A87f7a014c624587fab0d3d78c5b9c18?d=identicon&s=25 Bil Kleb (Guest)
Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> Makes me think of a flock of swallows flying in formation around a
> tower....

And eventually landing on the tower and relieving
themselves just before taking flight again...
0b6c03456c7606f5b95629228eb7a85a?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
There are still plenty of references to "SwitchTower" on that page, so
just to clarify:

SwitchTower is the same as Capistrano.  Jamis changed the name due to a
trademark clash with another software product.

Jim