Forum: Ruby on Rails Dreamhost subscription?

1e2dd87a31c5d3e07adc9efa375f4dc4?d=identicon&s=25 ryan (Guest)
on 2006-03-06 15:34
I'm thinking about signing up with DreamHost for the base Level 1 $9.95
plan.  Does anyone think that's a bad idea?

I'd like to know others thoughts, and who they recommend for RoR
hosting?

Thanks!
642a55efaf21673ee542bc17e64c8ed1?d=identicon&s=25 Juan Lupión (Guest)
On 3/6/06, ryan <rheath@ircwv.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking about signing up with DreamHost for the base Level 1 $9.95
> plan.  Does anyone think that's a bad idea?

Well, while DH is fine for hosting your Rails pet projects or
Typo-based weblog, I wouldn't recommend it for a fully-fledged
production app with lots of traffic.  I keep having issues with
lighttpd and spureous Error 500 on my apps with no apparent reason
--though things have become better over time.

On the other hand, there are many DH discount codes available on the
Net (there was a page in the Rails wiki, if I remember)  so giving it
a text drive -sorry!- is really unexpensive.  Being the risk near
zero, why not give it a try?  Plus you get 20GB of disk space, svn,
ssh access...

--
89d967359903c639d31e4cad4569f537?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie Bowman (Guest)
I use if for my blog and it performs perfectly (even though my home-brew

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 15:56 +0100, Juan Lupión wrote:

> Well, while DH is fine for hosting your Rails pet projects or
> Typo-based weblog, I wouldn't recommend it for a fully-fledged
> production app with lots of traffic.  I keep having issues with
> lighttpd and spureous Error 500 on my apps with no apparent reason
> --though things have become better over time.

> --

Charlie Bowman
http://www.recentrambles.com