Forum: Ruby on Rails Resizing images and creating thumbnails

F639e0cdf2fa098b535d6ec766b2aee1?d=identicon&s=25 Szymon Nowak (g0nzo)

1. How to resize an image uploaded by a web form before saving it to the
disk? (i need all uploaded images to have similar size)

2. How to create thumbnails? Is it enough if i specify small size of the
image in html or would the image look horrible? Can i do it somehow in
'realtime' using javascript? Or is it best to create thumbnail as a
separate file?

3. How to get file (image) extension?
3bec49196b296ac7c201412642c7a2b1?d=identicon&s=25 Rodrigo Alvarez (papipo)
On 3/5/06, g0nzo <g0nzo@o2.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. How to resize an image uploaded by a web form before saving it to the
> disk? (i need all uploaded images to have similar size)

rmagick

2. How to create thumbnails? Is it enough if i specify small size of the
> image in html or would the image look horrible? Can i do it somehow in
> 'realtime' using javascript? Or is it best to create thumbnail as a
> separate file?

It's better to create the thumbnail.
Check the file_column plugin.
F639e0cdf2fa098b535d6ec766b2aee1?d=identicon&s=25 Szymon Nowak (g0nzo)
on 2006-03-05 22:53
Thanks!

I took a (very) quick look on file_column plugin and got few questions:
Does it keep the file or just the filename in the database?
Can i change the name of uploaded file before saving it?

BTW. Generally, is it better to save the file to the database or just
store there its name and the file itself on the disk?
F639e0cdf2fa098b535d6ec766b2aee1?d=identicon&s=25 Szymon Nowak (g0nzo)
on 2006-03-05 23:03
I've just found that "Files are stored in the filesystem and the
filename in the database." :)

So can i change their name before saving them?
3bec49196b296ac7c201412642c7a2b1?d=identicon&s=25 Rodrigo Alvarez (papipo)
On 3/5/06, g0nzo <g0nzo@o2.pl> wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> I took a (very) quick look on file_column plugin and got few questions:
> Does it keep the file or just the filename in the database?

the filename.

Can i change the name of uploaded file before saving it?

Look at file_column documentation and source code, since i don't
remember if
you can change the filename.

BTW. Generally, is it better to save the file to the database or just
> store there its name and the file itself on the disk?

It seems that file systems are good at storing files ;-).
Your web server can serve static content as images/files in general
faster
if they are stored on the disk.