Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails Development on a Mac Mini?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Cb6f29d740e3a8d7f407ca335031bd32?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Eichert (Guest)
on 2006-03-05 04:42
(Received via mailing list)
How many people out there are doing Rails development on a Mac Mini?
I've
been eyeing up the MacBook as well as the new MacMini trying to decide
if I
want to splurge.  I've been doing very little Rails development thus far
which makes the investment a little hard to justify.  The Free Mini Mac
(
http://minimacs.freepay.com/?r=16778073) offer seems like the best route
but
I'm not sure I can wait long enough for that to pan out :)

So for those of you doing Rails development on a Mac Mini....how is it?
What processor would you recommend, how much RAM should I go for?  Will
I
run into any problems with the newer Intel Core chipset?

Thanks,
Steve
47632046c1a5dbaf00472e2241fbee0d?d=identicon&s=25 David Smalley (Guest)
on 2006-03-05 12:27
(Received via mailing list)
On 5 Mar 2006, at 03:41, Steve Eichert wrote:
> The Free Mini Mac ( http://minimacs.freepay.com/?r=1677x8073) offer
> seems like the best route but I'm not sure I can wait long enough
> for that to pan out :)

Can we assume that is your referral code in that URL? Maybe you'll
get one sooner than you think if enough listers click on it ;)


David Smalley
w: http://davidsmalley.com/blog
Cb6f29d740e3a8d7f407ca335031bd32?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Eichert (Guest)
on 2006-03-05 14:06
(Received via mailing list)
>
> Can we assume that is your referral code in that URL? Maybe you'll get one
> sooner than you think if enough listers click on it ;)
>

Um...well....of course it is :)  Merely clicking on it doesn't do
anything
though. :(

I've been hearing a lot of buzz lately from "Railers" about the MacBook
and
was wondering if people are as excited about the new Mac Mini.  It looks
pretty sweet but I'm wondering if the baseline mini is decent enough for
Rails development?  I've been doing my Rails dev on my windows box since
my
wife always hogs the only mac in the house so I'm curious how much RAM +
processing power people find adequate for development in Rails (with
TextMate).

Cheers,
Steve
(aka: the MacMini schemer)
F59329dc91cba06600ff65c85fd3e93c?d=identicon&s=25 Anthony Green (acgreen)
on 2006-03-05 14:07
Steve Eichert wrote:
> How many people out there are doing Rails development on a Mac Mini?
> I've
> been eyeing up the MacBook as well as the new MacMini trying to decide
> if I
> want to splurge.

I'd go for a mac laptop - ibook or powerbook.
The reason ? - You can take it to meetups and get input on your code
from fellow rails heads.

_tony
Cb6f29d740e3a8d7f407ca335031bd32?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Eichert (Guest)
on 2006-03-05 14:18
(Received via mailing list)
That's the way I've been leaning.

I've been thinking about the Mini since I could put it up in my office
and
host little personal apps on it as well as use it as a media server.
Plus
it wouldn't hurt the bank account as much.

I'm a big fan of plopping down on the couch getting comfy and writing
code
though so it'd be a little tough to do that with the mini :)
F59329dc91cba06600ff65c85fd3e93c?d=identicon&s=25 Anthony Green (acgreen)
on 2006-03-05 14:25
> I'm a big fan of plopping down on the couch getting comfy and writing
> code
> though so it'd be a little tough to do that with the mini :)

And i like to spend Sunday afternoon in a country pub with wifi coding
and relaxing.
;-)

_tony
47632046c1a5dbaf00472e2241fbee0d?d=identicon&s=25 David Smalley (Guest)
on 2006-03-05 14:46
(Received via mailing list)
On 5 Mar 2006, at 13:17, Steve Eichert wrote:

> That's the way I've been leaning.
>
> I've been thinking about the Mini since I could put it up in my
> office and host little personal apps on it as well as use it as a
> media server.  Plus it wouldn't hurt the bank account as much.
>
> I'm a big fan of plopping down on the couch getting comfy and
> writing code though so it'd be a little tough to do that with the
> mini :)
>

Go for an iBook. I'm at this very moment working on a G3 900mhz iBook
with 640mb of RAM. I'm running MySQL, Apache (with 3 rails apps
running 5 FCGI processes each), Textmate, Mail, Camino and
NetNewsWire all at the same time! Obviously I can't do much else and
ram is pretty tight but I'm not noticing any real slow down.

I'd imagine one of the new G4 iBooks would work really well. FYI you
can probably run on sqlite and cut down on memory usage, but I was in
a hurry and couldn't be bothered to learn it.

Don't get anything lower than 512mb of Ram.

David Smalley
w: http://davidsmalley.com/blog
0004e098c1882b1245ab74822fb7b725?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Zajkowski (Guest)
on 2006-03-05 17:39
(Received via mailing list)
On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, David Smalley wrote:

> Go for an iBook.

My guess is the Intel-replacement iBook will be out before September.
Why
September?  The iBook is marketed for the back-to-school crowd, and so
they'd want to have the new ones ready for the BTS sales.

Of course, I have no crystal ball, this is pure conjecture.

--Jim
5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Davidson (Guest)
on 2006-03-06 15:16
(Received via mailing list)
I'm using a Mini at home for Rails development, it's an absolute joy.
Couldn't be easier, either; open the box, plug it in, and two downloads
later -- Locomotive (http://locomotive.raaum.org) and RadRails -- you've
got everything you need to start developing.

Obviously, like others have said, an iBook/MacBook would provide more
mobility which is kind of nice.  Although the Mini is small/portable
enough to transport from place to place with a minimum of fuss.
F59329dc91cba06600ff65c85fd3e93c?d=identicon&s=25 Anthony Green (acgreen)
on 2006-03-06 15:56
> Although the Mini is small/portable
> enough to transport from place to place with a minimum of fuss.

Except theres no screen.
:)
_tony
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.