Forum: Ruby on Rails authorization framework?

D4b246038154d7cc2363256bd25a4fe0?d=identicon&s=25 Larry White (Guest)
There are a number of good authentication frameworks for rails - has
anyone
developed a generic authorization framework?

I'm thinking of something that included the concept of roles, mapped
roles
to both actions and users and could be used to wrap actions before their
invocation.

Extra good would be some way to check data permissions (as in, "yes you
can
perform the 'Edit Dog' action but only for beagles and chessies"), but i
don't know if it's possible to do that well in a general way.

thanks.

Larry
Af93ba6b6b59f22a8f37e8de5702ef98?d=identicon&s=25 Bob Silva (Guest)
You could combine Ezra's acl plugin with the new Edge Rails nested
scopes to
accomplish this. How is left as an exercise for the reader.

You can learn more about the acl plugin here:

http://www.brainspl.at/articles/2006/02/20/new-plu...

and the nested scope stuff here:

http://blog.caboo.se/articles/2006/02/22/nested-with_scope

Bob Silva

http://www.railtie.net/

  _____

On 3/4/06, Bob Silva <me@bobsilva.com> wrote:

>  You could combine Ezra's acl plugin with the new Edge Rails nested scopes
> to accomplish this. How is left as an exercise for the reader.

Thanks. My doctor said I needed more exercise.

What Bob said ;) Actually I am working on integrating the nested
with_scope stuff into my acl_system plugin. I think it looks like the
best way to protect model records. I'll let you know when its ready.

-Ezra
D4b246038154d7cc2363256bd25a4fe0?d=identicon&s=25 Larry White (Guest)
Cool. Thank you.