Forum: Ruby Sending mail when exception occured

7f1b64eae395ff6dd79b770a40ed4935?d=identicon&s=25 Michal Lomnicki (myysth)
on 2006-03-03 23:41
Hello!

I want to send e-mail when an exception will occur. What is important
mail should contain backtrace.
At first I redefined initialize method in
Exception class, it worked but of course I didn`t have access to
backtrace.  Now I  have redefined set_backtrace method. It works as
I want to, it`s access to backtrace and message of exception. I send
mail directly from set_backtrace, because I noticed that method is
called every
time an exception occurs.
Is it correct way? Maybe, you could propose better solution of my
problem?

Thanks in advance.
Michal
Michal Lomnicki wrote:
> Hello!

Hello!

> Is it correct way?

Does it work?  Does it allow you to go back to solving more interesting
or valuable problems?

Not always the best criteria, but worth considering.

--
James Britt

http://web2.0validator.com    - We're the Dot in Web 2.0
7f1b64eae395ff6dd79b770a40ed4935?d=identicon&s=25 Michal Lomnicki (myysth)
on 2006-03-04 01:16
>> Is it correct way?
>
> Does it work?  Does it allow you to go back to solving more interesting
> or valuable problems?

Yes, it works, but I`m not sure if it works in all cases.
I`m just courious about other solution of this problem:)
Fee23d1fc58edee59e05d7a52dcf172e?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Brown (Guest)
On Friday 03 March 2006 18:16, Michal Lomnicki wrote:
> >> Is it correct way?
> >
> > Does it work?  Does it allow you to go back to solving more interesting
> > or valuable problems?
>
> Yes, it works, but I`m not sure if it works in all cases.
> I`m just courious about other solution of this problem:)

Unless I completely misunderstood you, why not just do:

begin
  # Do whatever it is you're going to do
rescue Exception => e
  # Create your email
  message_string = "An error has occurred.  Backtrace: #{e.backtrace}"
  # Email it off however.
end

I get the strange feeling though that you want more than this...?
7f1b64eae395ff6dd79b770a40ed4935?d=identicon&s=25 Michal Lomnicki (myysth)
on 2006-03-05 09:52
> Unless I completely misunderstood you, why not just do:
>
> begin
>   # Do whatever it is you're going to do
> rescue Exception => e
>   # Create your email
>   message_string = "An error has occurred.  Backtrace: #{e.backtrace}"
>   # Email it off however.
> end

Of course it`s the simplest way, but I`ll have to invoke that in every
rescue block. So, let`s say that there is _uncatched_ exception, even
then mail should be sent. I redefined set_backtrace in Exception class.

> I get the strange feeling though that you want more than this...?

I hope that now my problem is clear.