Forum: Ruby IDE suggestions

896f7da88fbde8fa5f3519c890163e17?d=identicon&s=25 Barrie Jarman (Guest)
Im new (this week) to ruby and would like to know what IDE's people are
using.
Ive tried Radrails which seems very buggy and poorly designed.

I use Zend Studio for my php developement and would like something
similar
with autocompletion, linking to methods in other files etc...

thanks
2a0f7bd2c54fbc44329d69555b96f1c5?d=identicon&s=25 Kev Jackson (Guest)
>Ive tried Radrails which seems very buggy and poorly designed.

RadRails is based on Eclipse RCP (Rich Client Platform) - it's a Java
code base and if you're not used to Java apps in general, Eclipse (Java)
IDE or prior to that VisualAge, then it can certainly be a bit wierd

>I use Zend Studio for my php developement and would like something similar
>with autocompletion, linking to methods in other files etc...

vim, emacs, TextMate (OSX only), Scite.  You don't *need* an IDE to
actually program in Ruby (or indeed in any language), sure it's nice to
be able to press a '.' and have a list of methods pop up, but it's not
too much of a chore to read the RDoc, use ri or read the docs when you
want to learn something.

All the developers here (at work) would be lost without an IDE, it's
cultural and perhaps generational? - it's a bad way to be as you can't
be productive when you go on site and have nothing but vi over a vpn
connection.  I'd recommend sticking with the most basic editor (syntax
highlighting etc) and learning through the docs over an IDE, you'll also
appreciate the command line tools that are provided more that way.

2c

Kev
10ac092ffea69dbf830f7159b05dfc77?d=identicon&s=25 Mc Osten (Guest)
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 19:33:40 +0900, Kev Jackson wrote:

> All the developers here (at work) would be lost without an IDE, it's
> cultural and perhaps generational?

Probably more cultural than generational. My fellows programmer and I
have
grown up in the unix world (even if we are quite young, most of us still
at
the university) and in average we tend to prefer editors.

Some of us like Emacs, some vim, some TextMate (me, for example). I just
find frustrating to use heavyweight applications (I'm thing about the
Java
behemoth IDE out there) or something that does not give me full control.
The only IDE I like to use is XCode, that is probably the more
"editor-ish"
IDE out there.

But I think there is another factor: the language. Ruby (or Python in
our
case, most of us code in Python) is quite linear. Documentation is well
done and *small*. I'm new to ruby, still I remember quite a lot of
methods
and object, I don't really need autocompletion. And it's compact. You
write
significantly less code.
C is not that compact, but it's quite easy. The ANSI + POSIX functions
are
just a few (not /that/ few, but nothing like the full Java library).
Moreover you have excellent cli help in the form of man.

Using an IDE in Java can be useful. It's too verbose to really type all
the
stuff by hand (in production I mean).
PHP is worse: no namespaces... so xsl_xltprocessor_transform_to_xml.
Moreover every module etc has it's own naming convention. I understand
an
IDE can get over poor language design.
C76a52a7216844fe0e462e3d39ac97e4?d=identicon&s=25 Alexander Fleck (Guest)
hi,
I' m using FreeRIDE. My goal was to get an IDE for free that' s
portable. I wanted to use it either on linux and windows. I like it,
when an my environment for developing software looks and feels the same
regardless on which platform. I don' t want to use millions of editors
or IDEs. I thin vim is a good solution too, but I needed a few weeks to
get really into it, I mean really into it.

Alex.
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
On 3/3/06, Alexander Fleck <Fleck@schleissheimer.de> wrote:
> hi,
> I' m using FreeRIDE. My goal was to get an IDE for free that' s portable. I wanted to
use it either on linux and windows. I like it, when an my environment for developing
software looks and feels the same regardless on which platform. I don' t want to use
millions of editors or IDEs. I thin vim is a good solution too, but I needed a few weeks
to get really into it, I mean really into it.

I use FreeRIDE also, which has the advantage of being both open source
and written in Ruby.

If you want commercial IDE, check out ArachnoRuby and ActiveState's
Komodo.

Curt
66e5b65d1fe0183ca04053fda407a185?d=identicon&s=25 Rudolfs Osins (Guest)
I'm using SCITE under Linux, it's not an IDE, but it has nice syntax
highlighting and you can configure it very well. I think it's even
possible to get code completion to work under SCITE, but I haven't yet
figured out how. And it works in windows as well...
97187d7e48d59c178c7af8eaaaa3857c?d=identicon&s=25 Gregor Kopp (Guest)
Im Using this:
http://rubyjedit.org/

Jedit with ruby plugins

Barrie Jarman schrieb:
97187d7e48d59c178c7af8eaaaa3857c?d=identicon&s=25 Gregor Kopp (Guest)
has autocompletition, and build in doku,
module/class/def browser and so on.
then you have several plugins for jedit which are not explicit for ruby,
but for buffertabs, project management, html validators etc.

Gregor Kopp schrieb:
8d775a4f841200707929b36728efcccf?d=identicon&s=25 Suraj N. Kurapati (Guest)
Ea9c961a40599c37b750dc36df620623?d=identicon&s=25 Tassilo Horn (Guest)
"Barrie Jarman" <hscbaj@hotmail.com> writes:

Hi Barrie,

> Im new (this week) to ruby and would like to know what IDE's people
> are using.

Over the last time I used RadRails [1] and for normal Ruby coding I used
Kate [2].

But when I've read this thread my eyes caught the world *emacs*, so I
gave it a try (last time I used it regularly is about one and a half
year ago). I installed the ususal ruby-mode which comes with ruby and
extended it with ruby-electric.el [3]. And what should I say: it's
absolutely brilliant.

The only thing which currently doesn't work the way I like is the
inferior ruby mode. How can I get autocompletion in it?

Best regards,
Tassilo

Footnotes:
[1] www.radrails.org
[2] kate.kde.org
[3] shylock.uw.hu/Emacs/ruby-electric.el
49de3af41258a5772a1bad5c1533191d?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Hicks (Guest)
I just started using jEdit + the Project Viewer plugin (and a few
more). It is great and since I am on Windows at work and OSX at
home...they are the same!

I will check out your link to rubyjedit...

Robert
219748185f2ad7ab85365f7a9931f6e8?d=identicon&s=25 mitchell (Guest)
I do my development in linux, so I use SciTE (editor) + Mr. Guid
(debugger) + a project management utility I wrote with Ruby/GTK2. It's
the perfect, lightweight dev environment.
9dfe8c734b0f9b37a4e218425c0a2138?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Tani (Guest)
Barrie Jarman wrote:
> Im new (this week) to ruby and would like to know what IDE's people are
> using.
> Ive tried Radrails which seems very buggy and poorly designed.
>
> I use Zend Studio for my php developement and would like something similar
> with autocompletion, linking to methods in other files etc...

Sorta OT but good discussion: folks at Artima talk about how they use
(or don't need or want) python IDEs

http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=106&th...

There's been lots of threads here, arachno/komodo/eclipse+RDT vs.
emacs/vim/textmate/jedit/bbedit/ whatever, and there're lots of degrees
of freedom for what suits people, including:

- single developer or team
- have you committed core and std lib to memory, more or less, and have
you spent lotsa time looking at tracebacks??
- web framework / big code base or smaller project?
- multiple O/S?
- some people don't want to pay anything, but i think you shd still try
komodo and arachno's free trials.
Cee38055ae36590c654c04c2d5cc2778?d=identicon&s=25 Sky Yin (cookoo)
This plugin is great, but one thing that bothers me when I'm typing is
that the rubydoc always keeps searching for what I typed, which
significantly slows me down. Where can I turn this feature off?
11ee3feafd9a35c0491edc628eb04cff?d=identicon&s=25 Esad Hajdarevic (Guest)
Gregor Kopp wrote:

> Im Using this:
> http://rubyjedit.org/
>
> Jedit with ruby plugins

Is there any interested in contributing more stuff to ruby plugin: irb,
improving rdoc, parser etc. and writing rails plugin? I didn't hack
jEdit yet, but I have few years of java behind me and the documentation
is very good, so it shouldn't be hard.

Greetings,

Esad
C6d58eec081d1bae68945e01342ed277?d=identicon&s=25 Rob . (Guest)
Esad wrote:
> Is there any interested in contributing more stuff to
> ruby plugin: irb, improving rdoc, parser etc. and
> writing rails plugin?

Esad and others, if you have specific features that you'd like to work
on for the jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin please contact me offlist.

Rob - author of jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin
http://rubyjedit.org/
A402df36168b81b31c17adcbb5ae8cf4?d=identicon&s=25 Pistos Christou (pistos)
on 2006-03-07 19:51
Barrie Jarman wrote:
> Im new (this week) to ruby and would like to know what IDE's people are
> using.

I use Diakonos.  An editor, not an IDE (on purpose).  It runs anywhere
that Ruby is, so I download and launch on all UNIX variants I set foot
in.

0.8.0 was just released today.  :)

Pistos
Ef8b68858adef176d6dc71a727867b38?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
> Im new (this week) to ruby and would like to know
> what IDE's people are using.

On the Windows platform you could use Zeus:

   http://www.zeusedit.com/ruby.html
   Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

It does Ruby syntax highlighting, code folding, class browsing,
macro scripting, intergrated version control, smart indenting,
project/workspace management etc etc.

You can even write Zeus macros using Ruby ;)

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows
06db81f02537377c4bb207cdf8fd18ec?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Austin (Guest)
Sky.Yin@gmail.com wrote:
> This plugin is great, but one thing that bothers me when I'm typing is
> that the rubydoc always keeps searching for what I typed, which
> significantly slows me down. Where can I turn this feature off?

Plugins -> Plugin Options -> SideKick / General -> Show Completion
popups

I really had to dig around to find it when I first started using jEdit.
Not
the most obvious place.  I like jEdit and rubyjedit so far, especially
the
class browser.

Mike