Forum: Ruby tar with ruby

0ef675038d05cc99519031f1d66c8d7f?d=identicon&s=25 Tomas Fischer (tomas)

I have started using ruby.
A current task is to get a tar.gz file from internet and extract it.
I find the zlib class und so I can extract the downloaded file to
a .tar one.

How can I extract this file?
I found old postings on groups.google which use
Archive::Tar::Minitar. Is this still the way to handle tar file with
ruby,
or are there classes in standard lib?

What is the ruby-way: Install the extra package or call external program
tar (my ruby program is suggested to run only on Linux plattforms)?

Thanks,
Tomas
On Feb 27, 2006, at 2:44 PM, Tomas Fischer wrote:

> ruby,
> or are there classes in standard lib?
>
> What is the ruby-way: Install the extra package or call external
> program
> tar (my ruby program is suggested to run only on Linux plattforms)?

I tend to favor calling external programs when I know they'll be there.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com

> I tend to favor calling external programs when I know they'll be there.

...whereas I tend to prefer a pure Ruby approach. I plan on improving
Archive::Tar::Minitar in the near future anyway and have been given
some partial support for symbolic links.

-austin