Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby & SWIG: recommended technique?

E252a566c8abb53bcbfa1e64ebe1b9d4?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Br (robertakit)
on 2006-02-27 22:51
I compiled a C++ SWIG interface.  It works fine from irb (interactive
Ruby).  But, I'd like to embed this Swig module into a Rails
application.  (I did not write this particular Rails application and
know very little about Rails per-se.)

I know that, to start WEBrick, you say

ruby script/server

I looked at script/server and it does not look like the right place to
stick the "require" line needed for loading the Swig module.

Is there a standard place where initial loading of modules should
happen?  What is the recommended method in this case?

Thanks!
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
on 2006-02-27 23:21
Robert Br wrote:
> I looked at script/server and it does not look like the right place to
> stick the "require" line needed for loading the Swig module.
>
> Is there a standard place where initial loading of modules should
> happen?  What is the recommended method in this case?
>
> Thanks!

If you have a few hours to spare (guess not!) I'll suggest check the
RubyOnRails documentation and manuals @ www.rubyonrails.com

The short answer: there is a file called environment.rb in config
folder.

There is where your custom requires must reside.

HTH,

Luis
132a94ca65959bda6c74fae54bff2425?d=identicon&s=25 Ezra Zygmuntowicz (Guest)
On Feb 27, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Robert Br wrote:

> stick the "require" line needed for loading the Swig module.
> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org
> \

Put the require in RAILS_ROOT/config/environment.rb at the bottom.
That is the standard place for this type of stuff.

Cheers-

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster