Forum: Inkscape Noob question about shapes

80e6cd0186c9c31c6956d8d8d7a49754?d=identicon&s=25 Lea Hudson (Guest)

 After only just discovering Inkscape, I'm just practicing  drawing
simple, cartoon animals. One thing I'd like to do, but cannot  figure
out is how to draw an egg shape. The elipse is easy, but how do  I
narrow the top to make it look more like an actual egg? I've been
through the tutorials and think there's probably something really easy
I've missed :-)

  Cheers,
  Jim
1725020ed58eea0c8e31f86ba702cb69?d=identicon&s=25 Jon A. Cruz (Guest)
One way would be to convert it to a path and then edit the nodes.

Once you have an ellipse, do "Path|Object to Path"

Then change to the node tool (F2) and you should then see four nodes.
Just drag one away a bit and play with the handles on it.
80e6cd0186c9c31c6956d8d8d7a49754?d=identicon&s=25 Lea Hudson (Guest)
Brilliant, it worked a treat. Thank you Jon, much appreciated :-)

"Jon A. Cruz" <jon@joncruz.org> wrote:

One way would be to convert it to a path and then edit the nodes.

Once you have an ellipse, do "Path|Object to Path"

Then change to the node tool (F2) and you should then see four nodes.
Just drag one away a bit and play with the handles on it.

On Feb 27, 2006, at 12:56 AM, Lea Hudson wrote:

Hi,

  After only just discovering Inkscape, I'm just practicing drawing
simple, cartoon animals. One thing I'd like to do, but cannot figure
out is how to draw an egg shape. The elipse is easy, but how do I
narrow the top to make it look more like an actual egg? I've been
through the tutorials and think there's probably something really easy
I've missed :-)

  Cheers,
  Jim

---------------------------------
F812b5469f097cef62a67a629c465962?d=identicon&s=25 Arlo Barnes (arlo_b)
on 2013-05-07 23:01
I did not trust myself not to flub the path, so I googled for
'parametric egg' (because I had previously messed around with
Extensions>Render>Parametric curves) and got
http://bsidneysmith.com/images/writings/2006-2010/...
which I entered - and got half an egg. Oh well. I copied it and joined
the two paths (Which reminds me: If I want to make alterations to a path
symmetrically, is there an easy way to do it or do I have to figure out
what the reflected coordinates would be? No, never mind, I will ask that
in a new thread as the red text tells me to). Just thought this might
help / interest somebody.
F812b5469f097cef62a67a629c465962?d=identicon&s=25 Arlo Barnes (arlo_b)
OK, should work now. And now working off mailing list rather than forum.
On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM,
<inkscape-user-owner@lists.sourceforge.net>wrote:

> I did not trust myself not to flub the path, so I googled for
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

-Arlo James Barnes
Existing account

No account? Register here.