Forum: Ruby on Rails MySQL GUI for OS X

7d0fd381b85e7c95efcdfb8292e17e16?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Hill (nighty)
on 2006-02-26 13:56
G'day everyone,

I've got Rails up and running, but am having trouble finding a stable
MySQL client for OSX.

I was looking at the 'Creating a weblog in 15 minutes' screencast from
rubyonrails.org - what MySQL client is David using?

I've found the MySQL clients (Administrator / Query Browser) to be
highly unstable and rather pathetic under OSX.

If David is indeed running Admin/QB I'll cry myself into a slab of VB.

Cheers,
Stephen
27ec55aead1539a3aa6a2be028e8db5a?d=identicon&s=25 Jānis Jansons (Guest)

He's using CocoaMySQL editor.

Janis
5f3d7eb9e9314f4eb94b4040cee4d8d2?d=identicon&s=25 Vince Puzzella (Guest)
Try PHPMyAdmin ..
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

It's a php web app so you'll need a php enabled web server to run it.
Lot's
of features.
991b8de70c5edb062ddfe8cd9b59277e?d=identicon&s=25 Maximilian Schulz (namxam)
on 2006-02-26 14:59
I don't know which one he is using, but i really like the MySQL client
from Navicat, as this one is very stable and has some advanced features
other clients do not offer. the one, which i like the most is the option
to tunnel the connection through a ssh connection. this way, you do not
have to allow mysql connection from other servers than localhost, but
still be able to work on the servers database.
there is also a PostgreSQL version available.
602f73f02a8b8abcf01ca093e1762006?d=identicon&s=25 Micah Bly (yak)
on 2006-02-26 15:33
If you get CocoaMySQL, be aware that the main version you find out there
(0.5) does not support the newer password scheme of 4.1+.  So if you're
using a newer install of mySQL, grab the CocoaMySQL version here:

http://cocoamysql.sourceforge.net/beta/CocoaMySQL_...

There's another beta there that doesn't have the password hack.

Micah
7d0fd381b85e7c95efcdfb8292e17e16?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Hill (nighty)
on 2006-02-26 15:35
Jānis Jansons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> He's using CocoaMySQL editor.
>
> Janis

Thanks Janis!

I've downloaded it and it still seems pretty stable!
7d0fd381b85e7c95efcdfb8292e17e16?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Hill (nighty)
on 2006-02-26 15:39
Micah Bly wrote:
> If you get CocoaMySQL, be aware that the main version you find out there
> (0.5) does not support the newer password scheme of 4.1+.  So if you're
> using a newer install of mySQL, grab the CocoaMySQL version here:
>
> http://cocoamysql.sourceforge.net/beta/CocoaMySQL_...
>
> There's another beta there that doesn't have the password hack.
>
> Micah

Thanks Micah.

I'll download the latest beta and check it out :)

Navicat looks pretty good, although if I spend any money on software I
might have to convert to PostgreSQL because its my preferred platform. I
noticed they have a pgsql client which looks cool..

Thanks for your replies everyone...!
34cd360a799c6cbf3ddcd69e6498b77f?d=identicon&s=25 Farhan (Guest)
I have used Navicat but didn't like it. CocoaMySQL is very good, you
can get it from sourceforge.net. I also use the Query Browser
available for free in the download section of MySQL.com pretty sweet
since it has the help built right in the client, although it is a
working progress; but you should check it out.

Cheers,
Farhan
6283a59f2a604f29df2a4a68b320cc1d?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Johanesen (Guest)
on 2006-02-27 06:14
There's also YourSQL which is pretty good, and seems too have been
updated more recently.

http://yoursql.ludit.it/
Efe398b3b5436b0a8d4430090e8f86ea?d=identicon&s=25 subimage interactive (Guest)
Navicat is the only tool I will use - Mac or PC. A DB connection tool is
something you use every day, break down and pay for a good one.
Cocoamysql
and yoursql are garbage to me.
68d3f48595af5d48db8de48cf9349e71?d=identicon&s=25 Jamie van Dyke (Guest)
I've used all three, and paid for Navicat.  I honestly prefer
CocoaMysql.

Jamie
subimage interactive wrote:
> Navicat is the only tool I will use - Mac or PC. A DB connection tool is
> something you use every day, break down and pay for a good one.
> Cocoamysql and yoursql are garbage to me.
Am I the only one who's happy at the command line? :-)
0f38fcd80fc3e795ae2b8b018c7646e8?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Block (Guest)
In article <4402BCD4.6000502@blackkettle.org>,
 Alex Young <alex@blackkettle.org> wrote:

> subimage interactive wrote:
> > Navicat is the only tool I will use - Mac or PC. A DB connection tool is
> > something you use every day, break down and pay for a good one.
> > Cocoamysql and yoursql are garbage to me.
> Am I the only one who's happy at the command line? :-)

No you're not. Though after seeing the migrations screencast I'm
switching to do everything with them instead.

jpb

--
Joe Block <jpb@apesseekingknowledge.net>

Have GNU, will travel.
A07ec64186c6d821ca51abb2df646dda?d=identicon&s=25 Johan Van mol (johan-vm)
on 2006-02-27 23:55
Have you read
http://particletree.com/notebook/the-different-fac... yet?
I don't know which ones run on Mac, but I think the article might be
usefull...

Johan Van Mol
http://www.onrails.be
5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 Roustem Karimov (Guest)
On Sunday, February 26, 2006, at 8:18 AM, Vince Puzzella wrote:
>> G'day everyone,
>> If David is indeed running Admin/QB I'll cry myself into a slab of VB.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Stephen

There is also MySQL Workbench although it is still in alpha, AFAIK:
http://www.openwin.org/mike/video/WorkbenchAlphaDe...

At the same time, I really liked the way of building database gradually
using migrations (I think Chad Fowler demonstrated it very well in the
Rails Recipes book).

Best Regards, Roustem.
0171ac47cf8e430ee676b36ec9f2614c?d=identicon&s=25 Briggs (Guest)
> >> I've got Rails up and running, but am having trouble finding a stable
> >> MySQL client for OSX.

The application you speak of is CocoaMySQL and it freakin' rocks.
 Go here and get it:

http://cocoamysql.sourceforge.net/