Forum: Ruby QtRuby install

52a177e9dbd3e614825aabc4e45f8cd6?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Volkmann (Guest)
I'd like to evaluate using Qt with Ruby. I've downloaded and installed
Qt from http://www.trolltech.com. It's a monster ... 174MB to install.
I've also downloaded qt4-qtruby-1.4.2.tar.gz from
http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum/. However, I can't seem to find
any documentation that says how I'm supposed to install that. Any
hints or links to a web page that explains it would be much
appreciated!
882053229c4ca225e43cd9cd7fc21625?d=identicon&s=25 Jellen (Guest)
This is what I have met on My Mac(Tiger 10.4.5).
I compiled Qt successfull, but when I try to install qt4-qtruby,
'./configure' failed, It said that 'Can not find Qt >= 4.1 installed,
make sure compile Qt with -debug'. And I recompile Qt with './configure
-debug', qt4-qtruby still can't insatlled:(
110736de40db4fd96fd976c3f49647f8?d=identicon&s=25 Ryutaro Amano (Guest)
The following discussion
http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=519...

QTRuby Forum
http://rubyforge.org/forum/?group_id=181

Ryutaro Amano
wn9r-amn@asahi-net.or.jp
9c7f2f44463d1d4890f73e8a8229dd29?d=identicon&s=25 Caleb Tennis (Guest)
When configuring qtruby 4, make sure you specify where qt is located
and that you're using a mac.

./configure --enable-mac --with-qt-libraries=/usr/local/Trolltech/
Qt-4.1.1/lib

you may also want to use --with-qt-includes and --with-qt-dir

The configuration options should be very similiar to using QtRuby for
Qt3 which is in the book as well as via some links from my blog.  See
the PragProg site for the QtRuby book for links.
On 2/26/06, Caleb Tennis <caleb@aei-tech.com> wrote:
> the PragProg site for the QtRuby book for links.
How about instructions for installing QtRuby and either Qt 3 or 4
under windows? Do you have a URL that describes that?
9c7f2f44463d1d4890f73e8a8229dd29?d=identicon&s=25 Caleb Tennis (Guest)

> How about instructions for installing QtRuby and either Qt 3 or 4
> under windows? Do you have a URL that describes that?

QtRuby for Qt3 won't work on Windows out of the box.  There's no GPL
version of Qt3 available for windows anyway, though.

For Qt4, some work has been done to make it run on Windows.  I've
never tried it though.  Maybe I'll play with it a little later this
afternoon.

Caleb
7252adadcb6c9e824375c8deaf7174ae?d=identicon&s=25 Nola Stowe (Guest)
I would be interested in trying it out on windows :)
33ec7e55a251c1be8d6febfd929aebbe?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Kujawa (gregarican)
Nola Stowe wrote:

> I would be interested in trying it out on windows :)

So would I. On my Win32 platform I was looking to implement a Ruby
application using Qt. I had to resort to using Ruby 1.6.8 with a binary
distribution of Qt built for Win32. Of course it was the old Qt 2.3 NC
since (as folks have pointed out) Qt didn't have a NC Win32 release for
Qt 3.
9c7f2f44463d1d4890f73e8a8229dd29?d=identicon&s=25 Caleb Tennis (Guest)

> So would I. On my Win32 platform I was looking to implement a Ruby
> application using Qt. I had to resort to using Ruby 1.6.8 with a
> binary
> distribution of Qt built for Win32. Of course it was the old Qt 2.3 NC
> since (as folks have pointed out) Qt didn't have a NC Win32 release
> for
> Qt 3.

I plan to play with it a bit this week, but it's unfamiliar territory
for me as all of my development during my professional career has
been on Linux/Unix and the Mac.  The links earlier in the thread
point to some progress that has been made on the Win32 side, and from
my understanding QtRuby works great with Qt4 on Windows with a little
massaging.  I'm just not sure if that has been incorporated into the
QtRuby code yet or not.

If anyone beats me to it and has patches or some walkthroughs on
making it work, I'd be grateful if you'd share

Caleb
5834f829a9def19620d4014c46642172?d=identicon&s=25 Jure Sršen (hoornet)
on 2007-02-22 17:22
Please do so. I'm tring to install qtruby on windows for 3 weeks now and
i don't know what to do. I'd like to program a profesional looking
application and it seems that qt is the only option that includes GUI
code designer (with signals etc). I did try wxruby but couldn't find a
helper application that would allow this. (the closes came 'Farpy' but
it is very poor).
Please help me someone or if anyone knows something like Trolltech's
Designer for some other profy-looking Ruby GUI library...

Thanks a lot!
Hoornet

> I plan to play with it a bit this week, but it's unfamiliar territory
> for me as all of my development during my professional career has
> been on Linux/Unix and the Mac.  The links earlier in the thread
> point to some progress that has been made on the Win32 side, and from
> my understanding QtRuby works great with Qt4 on Windows with a little
> massaging.  I'm just not sure if that has been incorporated into the
> QtRuby code yet or not.
>
> If anyone beats me to it and has patches or some walkthroughs on
> making it work, I'd be grateful if you'd share
>
> Caleb
87e41d0d468ad56a3b07d9a6482fd6d5?d=identicon&s=25 Hemant Kumar (gnufied)
On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 01:22 +0900, Hoor Net wrote:
> Please do so. I'm tring to install qtruby on windows for 3 weeks now and
> i don't know what to do. I'd like to program a profesional looking
> application and it seems that qt is the only option that includes GUI
> code designer (with signals etc). I did try wxruby but couldn't find a
> helper application that would allow this. (the closes came 'Farpy' but
> it is very poor).
> Please help me someone or if anyone knows something like Trolltech's
> Designer for some other profy-looking Ruby GUI library...

This has been discussed over and over again, i believe, but I would
repeat anyways, i think you should evaluate gtk bindings for Ruby. It
has got a tool called glade2 for designing UIs interactively(connecting
callbacks and stuff). Installing gtk-ruby on Windows is much simpler.
669b7046f02e5dfc4bda4421f1069731?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Fenton (Guest)
> it seems that qt is the only option that includes GUI
> code designer (with signals etc). I did try wxruby but couldn't find a
> helper application that would allow this.

Just for the record, you can use any of the numerous free and commercial
RAD designers for wxwidgets with wxRuby:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WxWidgets#IDE_and_RAD_tools

Save the GUI design as an XRC (xml) file, and then you can load it into
ruby - see the xrc sample in samples distributed with wxruby.

alex