Forum: Ruby on Rails WEBrick Bad File Descriptor Error

455ac2a64d06dc8461f4d258d7f7e980?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Trier (Guest)
All of a sudden I have a wierd error when running script/server on a
Windows XP box.  Webrick is failing with a bad file descriptor error.
I'm sure it's conflicting with something in my enviornment, but I
cannot figure out what.  I googled the issue and haven't been able to
find any answer for it.

Although, I did find a workaround.  If I'm using a port above 8000 by
doing script/server --port=8000 it works fine.  I am not running a
firewall on this machine, either.

The only change I made was going from 1.82 to 1.84.  I first went to
InstantRails, because I've been running that successfully on another
machine.  I then tried the One-Click installer.  Same results on both.

Any ideas?

Michael
On Feb 25, 2006, at 8:08 AM, Michael Trier wrote:

> The only change I made was going from 1.82 to 1.84.  I first went to
> InstantRails, because I've been running that successfully on another
> machine.  I then tried the One-Click installer.  Same results on both.
>
> Any ideas?

Hard to say without the actual error message including backtrace.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
455ac2a64d06dc8461f4d258d7f7e980?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Trier (Guest)
That was dumb of me.  Here is the error information.  This is all the
output I get.  BTW, I tried going into irb and calling
create_listeners directly, passing in the same information that rails
is sending, and I do not have a problem.

On another note, it was right after trying to switch over to use
InstantRails when this happened, and I notice that there is another
thread about InstantRails issues with webrick, but their experiences
seem to be unrelated.  I've switched back  to the One-Click installer,
but the 1.84 version.  Thanks Eric.

[2006-02-26 05:15:45] INFO  WEBrick 1.3.1
[2006-02-26 05:15:45] INFO  ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]
[2006-02-26 05:15:45] WARN  TCPServer Error: Bad file descriptor -
bind(2)
D:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/utils.rb:73:in `initialize': Bad file
descriptor -
bind(2) (Errno::EBADF)
        from D:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/utils.rb:73:in
`create_listeners'
        from D:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/utils.rb:70:in
`create_listeners'
        from D:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:75:in `listen'
        from D:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:63:in `initialize'
        from D:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:24:in
`initialize'
        from
./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/webrick_server.rb:6
1:in `dispatch'
        from
./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/commands/servers/we
brick.rb:59
        from
D:/Ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in `re
quire'
        from
./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support
/dependencies.rb:153:in `require'
        from
./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/commands/server.rb:
28
        from
D:/Ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in `re
quire'
        from script/server:3
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
On 2/26/06, Michael Trier <mtrier@gmail.com> wrote:
> That was dumb of me.  Here is the error information.  This is all the
> output I get.  BTW, I tried going into irb and calling
> create_listeners directly, passing in the same information that rails
> is sending, and I do not have a problem.
>
> On another note, it was right after trying to switch over to use
> InstantRails when this happened, and I notice that there is another
> thread about InstantRails issues with webrick, but their experiences
> seem to be unrelated.  I've switched back  to the One-Click installer,
> but the 1.84 version.  Thanks Eric.

FWIW, the 1.8.4 version of the one-click installer is the same binary
build of ruby that is in Instant Rails, the OCI just has a few more
extensions installed. Oncethe final 1.8.4 version of the OCI is
release, it will be put into Instant Rails for the Instant Rails 1.1
release.

Curt
8adbed24cb8d91bfb8dce6cf1e7141b6?d=identicon&s=25 mat (Guest)
on 2006-02-27 06:56
Curt Hibbs wrote:
> On 2/26/06, Michael Trier <mtrier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That was dumb of me.  Here is the error information.  This is all the
>> output I get.  BTW, I tried going into irb and calling
>> create_listeners directly, passing in the same information that rails
>> is sending, and I do not have a problem.
>>
>> On another note, it was right after trying to switch over to use
>> InstantRails when this happened, and I notice that there is another
>> thread about InstantRails issues with webrick, but their experiences
>> seem to be unrelated.  I've switched back  to the One-Click installer,
>> but the 1.84 version.  Thanks Eric.
>
> FWIW, the 1.8.4 version of the one-click installer is the same binary
> build of ruby that is in Instant Rails, the OCI just has a few more
> extensions installed. Oncethe final 1.8.4 version of the OCI is
> release, it will be put into Instant Rails for the Instant Rails 1.1
> release.
>
> Curt

It's just a (wild) guess, but when bind(2) fails, its usually means the
IP port you are binding to is already in use. I don't know what the
Windows equiv of "netstat -an" to see all open/closing sockets is, but
this whould tell you for certain. If that were the case, a reboot would
fix the problem (to test the theory, not that this is a reasonable
workaround).

Mat Cucuzella
455ac2a64d06dc8461f4d258d7f7e980?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Trier (Guest)
Somone else also got the same problem, posted about 1 day later, and
now I believe it's related to eclipse.  Eclipse must be blocking a set
of ports in that same range.  I thought it was related to
InstantRails, because that's when the problem cropped up, but after
the other posting, I realized that I also started using eclipse.  At
least that's where I'm at with it right now.  It's not a big deal now
that I know I can get around it, but it was sure a time waster.

I'd be curious if there's anyone else running 1.8.4 with eclipse
and/or RadRails.

Thanks,

Michael