Forum: Ruby on Rails [JOB] at yakimaherald.com

132a94ca65959bda6c74fae54bff2425?d=identicon&s=25 Ezra Zygmuntowicz (Guest)
Friends-

	I have taken a new job and will be moving at the end of March. The
newspaper I currently work for is looking for someone to take my
place. I have really enjoyed working here. It is a great environment
with very nice people to work with. And the best part is you get to
develop in Ruby and Rails, for everything!

	The paper is willing to accept applications from people who would
need relocation and would help them with the move as well. You would
continue work on my largets rails application to date http://
yakimaherald.com . And I would be working with you remotely to get
you aquainted with the code base here and all that.

	This is a great job as the lead developer. You get to choose your
own technologies and implement things as you see fit. You don't have
to be a master rails programmer to apply either, there are not a lot
of rails aware people here in Yakima so any experience with rails is
in your favor.

	Here is the full job  posting:

http://jobs.rubynow.com/jobs/show/201

	You can also send me an email off list if you want to speak with me
about the job or the situation here at the paper before you apply. I
encourage anyone interested to apply, this has been an excellent job
for me and I have really enjoyed it. I just need to move on because
my wife if going back to grad school and there isn't a school here
that offers what she needs.

	Anyway, we now return you to your regularly scheduled railing ;)

Cheers-
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
ezra@yakima-herald.com
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-02-24 22:47
Congrats Ezra! A few questions if you're interested:

- What salary range do you think they're willing to pay? What type of
benefits?

- How'd you get the job yourself? Judging from your resume, you had a
art background and appear to be largely self-taught in technical things.
I'm largely self-taught too and am curious how technical competence is
effectively conveyed to prospective employers, barring, say, a compsci
degree.

- What's your new job? ;)

Joe
On Feb 24, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Joe wrote:

> degree.
>
> - What's your new job? ;)
>
> Joe

Joe-

	i am not at liberty to say what the salary is : / Your best bet if
you are interested is to send a resume to my supervisor and start a
discussion with him. His name is Matt Pferschy and his email is
mpferschy@yakimaherald.com .

	I am self taught at programming but I have been using macintosh
computers since 1987 ;) So they do recognize talent here. So if you
can prove your talent with some code samples and perhaps a few
deployed apps then I don't think not having a CS degree will be a big
turn off for them.

	I encourage interested parties to email Matt to talk with him about
the details. And I will let on about my new job after I have started
and settled in a bit. But I can say that it is in Spokane Washington
so its only a 200 mile move for me.

Cheers-
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
ezra@yakima-herald.com
Ff82af3238a57fbd1212832ec1a19f28?d=identicon&s=25 Dylan Stamat (Guest)
Congrats Ezra !  Hope you're still able to jump on board
theargonexpress.com!
0592d2d715f66b9413903e73096af273?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Knapp (Guest)
Ezra,

I wish you well in your next venture. I also hope that you keep up your
good
work for the good of the order! You are an invaluable resource to the
rails
community and we thank you. Applause!

-Eric
8e44c65ac5b896da534ef2440121c953?d=identicon&s=25 Ezra Zygmuntowicz (Guest)
Thanks Dylan. The train goes right through spokane ;)

-Ezra
8e44c65ac5b896da534ef2440121c953?d=identicon&s=25 Ezra Zygmuntowicz (Guest)
I'll still be around ;) And thank you for the kind words.

-Ezra