Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: RoR meets .net *cringe*

60e38de043848f82392062088f191213?d=identicon&s=25 Hogan, Brian P. (Guest)
It was a miserable failure for us. Your best bet is to run on Linux.

> 1. Has anyone done any benchmarks with it? Is there any reason this
> couldn't be viable for production loads?  (feel free to speculate if
you
> haven't)

When it finally worked, after two weeks of trial and error (and we can't
reproduce it again) it performs poorly under IIS.  It looks good until
you start hitting it with any benchmarks. It really slows down.

> 2. Are there any practical suggestions for laying out an application
> (one web site) that is both asp.net and RoR for the regex isapi
filters?
> (sub-domain them, different paths etc)

Your best bet is to install Apache on Windows, set it to run on a higher
port and use ISAPIRewrite to proxy to that higher port.

Even then, it's dog slow.

I'm in a Windows shop, so believe me, I know what you're going through.
The reaility is that Ruby itself does not run well under Windows. It's
noticeable in the task manager when you run Console or even IRB.

Your best bet is to do what I did:

1. Learn how to set up Lighttpd on Debian. (Debian is easy and stable,
so your boss will like it)

    a. http://www.debian.org/
    b. http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/
    c. http://www.debian.org/ports/i386/
    d.
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r1/i386/is...
-netinst.iso
    e. http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/
    f. http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html (Thanks to Ezra for this
awesome tutorial)

2. Learn how to set up multiple Rails apps on Debian with Lighttpd. I've
got config files if you'd like them.
3. Write your application and keep track of the hours you spend on it.
4. Install Rails under IIS. Just try to make it work. After a few days
of random frustration, you might get it to run.  Run performance tests
against it. It will be slow
5. Install Apache on Windows, on a higher port. Load your app as a
FastCGI. Performance test it. It will also be slow :)
6 Test your app on the Linux machine. It will be lots faster.

Show your boss that you can develop much faster with this enviornment,
thus saving money in both development time and turnaround time. Also
write tests so you can *show* why Rails is better.  Additionally, if you
use SubVersion (which will run on Windows) and a Linux production
server, you can use SwitchTower to manage your deployments which is a
HUGE advantage.

Let me know if I can be of any help. It's unfortunate that there's not
much love for Windows out there.

Zed Shaw's Mongrel now runs under Windows, so you might have some luck
with that but you'll need to make sure you're running the latest ruby
(1.8.4) so you can use the services stuff. I have not tested this yet
but I do plan to give it a spin.

Sorry to burst your bubble :)

Brian Hogan
Web Development
Learning & Technology Services
Schofield 3-B
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
715 836 3585
hoganbp@uwec.edu
Cf80d0758047e94940444feadf82a9bf?d=identicon&s=25 frazer horn (Guest)
This is disappointing to hear.  it is also key for me to have a
satisfactory
hosting solution on windows for ror ( wether lighty, apache, iis or
mongrel).

Sure feels like ror is predominantly becoming a nix solution.

Praying for some success stories running ror in production on windows.

Fraz
554360931c4b622504bb77d9df79832b?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Well, I think that means I'm out of luck. I have no problem setting up
debian (though I'd probably run it on a flavor of BSD if I had my
choice) I develop on my iBook at home and I'd rather do the same at
work.

Unfortunately we're stuck hosting on M$ Windoze. The red tape in this
company is unusually tangled. It has taken me 5 days to try,
unsuccesfully get a folder deleted off of my machine that was created by
it's previous owner. I have this small window to get ruby through and I
doubt it's going to happen if it can't happily run on 'doze.

If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears because the alternative is
doing all this work in asp.nein.

Cheers, Simon.
6ef8cb7cd7cd58077f0b57e4fa49a969?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Hogan (Guest)
I hear you. I tested Mongrel this morning with no luck on performance.

Apache + fcgi on the same windows box proxied through IIS might be
useful to
you though so let me know if you'd like config instructions that I used.
am planning on putting this online at some point but I want to cover the
performance issues before I do.

  I will continue to investigate Ruby on Windows and would welcome any
help.

On 2/24/06, simonwex@gilford.textdrive.com
<simonwex@gilford.textdrive.com>
49e98c4a13a5203ecff5d2d0774f8991?d=identicon&s=25 Matthijs Langenberg (Guest)
> 2. Learn how to set up multiple Rails apps on Debian with Lighttpd. I've
> got config files if you'd like them.
Can you send me the lighttpd config files? I'm a bit struggling with
running multiple applications on lighttpd.
F2d3287043f963f539d90d5d1ed25c5b?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Jennings (cpher)
on 2006-02-25 22:27
Brian Hogan wrote:
>   I will continue to investigate Ruby on Windows and would welcome any
> help.

I'd be happy to do some testing for you. I'm also working in a Windows
shop, and running my RoR dev apps on Webrick. I'm really dreading the
day when I need to migrate to a production Windows server.

I seriously believe this is the biggest knock against RoR in many
organizations. I'm sure Debian et al, are nice for RoR, but anything
other than Windows Server in an Active Directory network will be
problematic. Sysadmins don't want to be worrying about that guy down the
hall that insists on running Debian/FreeBSD/etc instead of Windows like
every other developer in the building.

Another issue I have is that I need to be able to run IIS 6 on one IP,
and an RoR-friendly server on another IP....all on the same machine.
Apache/lighty may be the way to go, but I was really hoping Mongrel
would be the ticket. I'll try it next week and see if I have any luck.
-Chris
3838e8177bbd683c71006b20e4d38dac?d=identicon&s=25 Will Green (Guest)
on 2006-05-02 21:54
> Another issue I have is that I need to be able to run IIS 6 on one IP,
> and an RoR-friendly server on another IP....all on the same machine.
> Apache/lighty may be the way to go, but I was really hoping Mongrel
> would be the ticket. I'll try it next week and see if I have any luck.
> -Chris

One word: VMWare.

http://www.vmware.com/

Run Windows as the host. Also do your IIS webserving off of this.
Install whatever *nix you like as a guest OS under VMWare. You can
configure the VM instance to have the second IP address.

Since you are only running one vm instance, you could use the free
VMWare Player (though you'd need to grab a copy of VMWare Server, which
is also free, to create your own VMware instance if you don't like any
of the readily available images).
I have a Gentoo Linux virtual machine built with a full LAMP stack plus
Rails 1.1.2, lighttpd, SQLite and PostgreSQL. As a ZIP archive it's
about a gigabyte, and unzipped about 3 GB, but if there's stuff there
you don't want, I could delete it to make it smaller. For example, I've
loaded a lot of the documentation, X, a couple of math packages and the
XFCE desktop. It's a free as in open source project, and I'm looking for
testers!!!

I think I have hosting for the downloads lined up, but if someone here
wants to adopt it, I'd be willing to let them. My own web site doesn't
have quite enough disk space.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (Guest)
Hi, I was in similar situation with a client where they was using
ASP.Net.  I attempted to make modifications to the source that I was
given and there was one failure after another with MS products.  Thus,
as an exercise, I implemented everything that was in ASP.Net in a days
time + plus all the additions that they wanted me to add to ASP.Net
code.  The clients were blown away because it had all the error
checking plus the additions of AJAX.  Furthermore, I told them that it
was zero cost and you wouldn't have to purchase any expensive M$
licenses.  Next, your applications are no longer restricted to IIS web
server and that you can use Apache in a Unix environment.  In short,
save money, save time, and concentrate on delivering quality
applications.  The moral of this experience is that managers don't
understand talk but if you show them something this is when they bite;
the proof is the pudding.

Peace,

-Conrad