Forum: Ruby Ruby plugin for spreadsheet?

8e385da1ca40c622cbe7bcaac0aee1cf?d=identicon&s=25 Grant Schoep (Guest)
I know this may sound insane... but is there anything like a ruby plugin
for spreadsheets? Sadly, I guess I'd prefer Excel, but I use OpenOffice
alot too. basically, there is always text manipulation of fields I need
do. Its a royal pain in most spreadsheet software. I usually end up
exporting my data out to a csv, running some Ruby scripts on it, and
then
importing it back. Trying to reduce the work here. Since... exporting it
out, running ruby scripts on it, then importing it back in is still
easier
for me.
On Feb 23, 2006, at 8:13 PM, Grant Schoep wrote:

> exporting it
> out, running ruby scripts on it, then importing it back in is still
> easier
> for me.

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/parseexcel/

Alternatively consider Win32OLE. The upside to ParseExcel is that you
don't need Excel to use it.
788622ab7e1f792ca653eeacbe5c1db3?d=identicon&s=25 rcoder (Guest)
I actually did a project a couple of years ago which used the Win32 OLE
library for Ruby -- check out the ActiveScriptRuby distribution
(http://arton.hp.infoseek.co.jp/).

Instead of doing a Ruby "plugin" for Excel, I used Ruby to automate
Excel operations: open a workbook, select a worksheet, create a new
sheet, copy some data into it, etc.

-Lennon
90ebe8da17aabd36cc30d9f96a530e6f?d=identicon&s=25 James Herdman (Guest)
On 2006-02-23 20:10:06 -0500, Grant Schoep
<matobinder@idcomm.abcremooveabc.com> said:

> I know this may sound insane... but is there anything like a ruby
> plugin for spreadsheets? Sadly, I guess I'd prefer Excel, but I use
> OpenOffice alot too. basically, there is always text manipulation of
> fields I need to do. Its a royal pain in most spreadsheet software. I
> usually end up exporting my data out to a csv, running some Ruby
> scripts on it, and then importing it back. Trying to reduce the work
> here. Since... exporting it out, running ruby scripts on it, then
> importing it back in is still easier for me.

Check this thread out >>
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/brow...

It

might be of use.