Forum: Ruby on Rails lighttpd on mac for local development

C693bf945a77e556113eee5003726343?d=identicon&s=25 TJ Stankus (Guest)
I'm having trouble installing lighttpd for local development on Mac OS X
Tiger.

Here are the commands I've run:
sudo port install fcgi
sudo port install lighttpd

Here's a snippet from running "port installed" with several ports
removed for brevity:
fcgi @2.4.0_1 (active)
lighttpd @1.4.9_0 (active)
rb-rubygems @0.8.11_0 (active)
readline @5.0.005_0+darwin_8 (active)
ruby @1.8.4_1 (active)

So, it looks like everything is in place for installing the fcgi gem.
But when I run
"sudo gem install fcgi" I get the following error:

ruby extconf.rb install fcgi\nchecking for fcgiapp.h... yes
checking for FCGX_Accept() in -lfcgi... no

I've tried a few different things I've run across online, including
running:

sudo gem install fcgi -- --with-fcgi-include=/opt/local/include
--with-fcgi-lib=/opt/local/lib

But no luck. Same error message each time. I've also tried installing
from source without using ports and installing the rb-fcgi port.
Everything gives me the same error.

Anyone have any thoughts on what else I might try?

Thanks!

-TJ
0e1f913bd7b6e69419fe88c82c9a15ed?d=identicon&s=25 Sean Stephens (Guest)
I dislike using ports, but that's just a personal issue. :)

Try this instead...

<http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...

-Sean
Ef0db53920b243d6758c2f6b1306df0d?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Ross (cwd)
on 2006-02-24 00:08
Have you tried checking out from svn (see instructions on
http://www.lighttpd.net/download/) and building. That's what I did and
it's working great. Alternatively, try Locomotive
(http://locomotive.raaum.org).

TJ Stankus wrote:
> I'm having trouble installing lighttpd for local development on Mac OS X
> Tiger.
>
> Here are the commands I've run:
> sudo port install fcgi
> sudo port install lighttpd

Ce01773dc0c1e22aa614f9e51830e52d?d=identicon&s=25 Lori Olson (Guest)
on 2006-02-24 00:26
I managed to get it working by following the instructions from here:

http://nubyonrails.topfunky.com/articles/2005/12/2...
C693bf945a77e556113eee5003726343?d=identicon&s=25 TJ Stankus (Guest)
I worded things poorly in my OP. The problem is with installing the
ruby-fcgi bindings, whether through gem, rb-fcgi port, or from source.

> <http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...

I tried the FastCGI portion of these instructions. I got fastcgi
installed from source just fine, but got an error installling the
Ruby-FastCGI bindings.

I'm beginning to think I should try ruby 1.8.2.

-TJ
C693bf945a77e556113eee5003726343?d=identicon&s=25 TJ Stankus (Guest)
Thanks to the pointer to that script Lori.

I think my next step is to circumvent ports altogether and compile
everything from source. This script will help.

Thanks.

-TJ
C693bf945a77e556113eee5003726343?d=identicon&s=25 TJ Stankus (Guest)
In case it helps anyone, I did get fcgi ruby bindings and everything
else installed by following along with the script you can download
from here:

http://nubyonrails.topfunky.com/articles/2005/12/2...

For whatever reason, all the latest stuff available from darwinports
just wasn't allowing me to install the fcgi gem.

One thing you'll want to do before running these scripts is run:

sudo gcc_select 3.3

HTH