From: “monkeyvu” [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 1:16 PM
Subject: [Rails] Install Rails

On Wednesday, February 22, 2006, at 1:35 PM, Bill W. wrote:

How do you intend to download rails*.gem if your computer is not connected
to a network?

Well, how did he post this message??? I suspect a usb drive and a
different machine could be involved in this drama…though im not
sure…

Just download the gems from rubyforge.org, youll need rails,
activerecord, et al…

then install the gems by adding a local switch to the gem command
(sorry, cant remember the switch)

Mikkel B.

www.strongside.dk - Football Portal(DK)
nflfeed.helenius.org - Football News(DK)
ting.minline.dk - Buy Old Stuff!(DK)

I have solved my problem . Thanks all very much , especially for Mikkel
Bruun .

monkeyvu wrote:

I have solved my problem . Thanks all very much , especially for Mikkel
Bruun .

Hi. I have the same problem, could you point me what do I need
(activerecord, et al…??) for the local installation.

Eduardo Machado wrote:

monkeyvu wrote:

I have solved my problem . Thanks all very much , especially for Mikkel
Bruun .

Hi. I have the same problem, could you point me what do I need
(activerecord, et al…??) for the local installation.

All you need are activesupport-1.2.5.gem , activerecord-1.13.2.gem ,
actionpack-1.11.2.gem , actionmailer-1.1.5.gem ,
actionwebservice-1.0.0.gem , rails-1.0.0.gem .

monkeyvu wrote:

ERROR: While executing gem … (SocketError) getaddrinfo: no address
associated with hostname. C:\ruby\bin>

I had the same problem with “gem install rails --include-dependencies”
as well as with “gem install rails -r -y”.

Try disabling Norton Internet Security (NIS) and its Auto-Protect
feature, or whatever Windows firewall you may be using.

I attended a Ruby class today put on by University of California-Santa
Cruz at the Cupertino Extension site. During lunch I spoke to the
instructor, Wayne V., who confirmed my syntax was OK. Then, I
remembered that when I had a similar problem trying to start a WEBrick
server in RadRails, I discovered that NIS was blocking the server.

So, turn off your firewall and rails should install. It worked for me.

Thinking about Ubuntu Linux,

charlieahern

Charlie Ahern wrote:

So, turn off your firewall and rails should install. It worked for me.

Then, obviously, if you are using Windows, turn the firewall back on.

charlieahern

Could someone tell me how to install rails on ruby (windows XP SP2) with
more detail and clear. I`m very new with programming. I had follow the
commands for installing rails “gem rails -install-dependencies” but it
could not work.

I had download the rails.gem file but where should i put the file on?
(what directory).

Should i install apache or mysql first before installing rails after
ruby installation?

Here is my PC condition :
1. no network connection
2. using norton 2005 as anti-virus
3. ruby installation is on C:\ruby\

Please somebody help me. -_-

I would suggest installing MySQL first. If you don’t have experience
with databases, I’d also recommend installing MySQL Admin and MySQL
Query Browser. Once you are sure than MySQL is work (create a db, a
table, insert a few rows, etc) then install InstantRails. The
following website should make it pretty easy:
http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

I wouldn’t recommend installing apache yet if you are just getting
started. You can figure out apache when you are closer to deploying.