Forum: Ruby Pluginfactory.rb - my door to insanity

D521c0db52fe0b14d799dd669d536098?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Mobily (Guest)
Hello,

As a matter of principle, I am studying the pluginfactory plugin
(http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/pluginfactory/).

At first, I thought the author was insane (in a good way!).

I am going bananas, trying to understand the pluginfactory.rb module.

At one point, he defines:

    ### Inheritance callback -- Register subclasses in the
derivatives hash
    ### so that ::create knows about them.
    def inherited( subclass )

NOW! You night say "No wait, inherited needs to be a class method,
not a n instance method.

Well, the module does this when it's included:

         ### Inclusion callback -- extends the including class.
         def self::included( klass )
                 klass.extend( self )
         end

This means that all of the instance methods defined in the plugin
become... part of the class!
This opened in my brain the door to insanity.

Is this technique used a lot? What I don't like about it, is that the
instance methods in the module become both instance methods and class
methods in the includer.
This could possibly create clutter in the class' methods.

For what I understand, with include/extend is never, ever possible to
add class methods to a class using include or extend (of course, you
can use inheritance, but that would be too "normal").

Guys, I am in awe.

Merc.
9dfe8c734b0f9b37a4e218425c0a2138?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Tani (Guest)
Tony Mobily wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For what I understand, with include/extend is never, ever possible to
> add class methods to a class using include or extend (of course, you
> can use inheritance, but that would be too "normal").

why wrote about mixing in class meths as class meths:

http://redhanded.hobix.com/bits/hyperextended.html
D521c0db52fe0b14d799dd669d536098?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Mobily (Guest)

OK. While this is indeed a nice "trick" (in fact, it's really
smart!), it still looks like a bit of a hack to me.

Does anybody know if Matz is planning on ad a method to include class
instance methods into another class without using inheritance?

In fact... do you think that doing so is actually useful?

Bye,

Merc.