Forum: Ruby Keeping up with Ruby?

B2561fdd05855be51aca982c54eb9f81?d=identicon&s=25 John N. Alegre (Guest)
Is there a way to find what extensions / libraries of Ruby code are
installed in any given Ruby installation and the location of their
respective Ruby Code.  I am having trouble with a systematic method
produce
RDoc documentation for those libraries / extensions that I have
installed.
After all I cant use em without the docs.

An extension to this is where are the std library / core Rdocs kept or
do I
have to make these too?

All comments welcome
john
52a177e9dbd3e614825aabc4e45f8cd6?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Volkmann (Guest)
On 2/21/06, John N. Alegre <info@johnalegre.net> wrote:
> Is there a way to find what extensions / libraries of Ruby code are
> installed in any given Ruby installation and the location of their
> respective Ruby Code.  I am having trouble with a systematic method produce
> RDoc documentation for those libraries / extensions that I have installed.
> After all I cant use em without the docs.

For extensions that were installed as gems,
"gem list" will give you a list of the gems you've installed.
"gem contents {gem-name}" will give you a list of all the files that
were installed for a given gem, including their location.

For extensions that were not installed as gems,
I believe you'll find their source under RUBY_HOME/lib/ruby/site_ruby.

> An extension to this is where are the std library / core Rdocs kept or do I
> have to make these too?

To view RDocs for gems,
run "gem_server"
browse http://localhost:8808

If documentation for some of your installed gems is missing, you can
regenerate RDoc for all of them with "gem rdoc --all" or generated
RDoc for a specific gem with "gem rdoc {gem-name}".
Mark Volkmann wrote:

> On 2/21/06, John N. Alegre <info@johnalegre.net> wrote:
>> Is there a way to find what extensions / libraries of Ruby code are
>> installed in any given Ruby installation and the location of their
>> respective Ruby Code.  I am having trouble with a systematic method
>> produce RDoc documentation for those libraries / extensions that I have
>> installed

Did you want to say something here?