Forum: Ruby Install into $HOME fails

26198eab52c6dcded426d133703828ec?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
I don't know how to install Ruby into my home directory. Looking
at the Makefile, I thought that

   make prefix=$HOME install

should do the job, but make still tries to install into /usr/local
(which fails because I don't have write-access there).

Any easy work-around to this?

Ronald
B33ea5c12d767bfd1253940a960274f5?d=identicon&s=25 rmagick@gmail.com (Guest)
I believe you need to specify the prefix on the ./configure step:

../configure --prefix=$HOME
7264fb16beeea92b89bb42023738259d?d=identicon&s=25 Christian Neukirchen (Guest)
u235321044@spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net (Ronald Fischer) writes:

> I don't know how to install Ruby into my home directory. Looking
> at the Makefile, I thought that
>
>    make prefix=$HOME install
>
> should do the job, but make still tries to install into /usr/local
> (which fails because I don't have write-access there).
>
> Any easy work-around to this?

./configure --prefix=$HOME
make
make install
26198eab52c6dcded426d133703828ec?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
> > I don't know how to install Ruby into my home directory. Looking
> > at the Makefile, I thought that
> >
> >    make prefix=$HOME install
> >
> > should do the job, but make still tries to install into /usr/local
> > (which fails because I don't have write-access there).

> /configure --prefix=$HOME

Thank you, this works.

It would be great if this information could be put into the README.

Ronald
851246810c70dbfcc1815c636b054562?d=identicon&s=25 George Ogata (Guest)
u235321044@spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net  (Ronald Fischer) writes:

> Thank you, this works.
>
> It would be great if this information could be put into the README.

The README says to run ./configure to generate the Makefile.
../configure --help tells you all the configure options.

The configure script, and its --help option, is standard for things
that use autoconf (lots of stuff in the free software world).  I guess
it couldn't hurt to mention --help in the README, though.