Forum: Ruby Whats the difference of ActiveRuby and "regular" Ruby instal

8f3037203159dd4382f2a6760bbb3a29?d=identicon&s=25 Joey Se (jeisma)
hello!

as the subject goes, what's the difference of ActiveRuby and "regular"
Ruby install? on windows, ActiveRuby defaults to C:\program files, while
"regular" ruby on c:\ruby.

do i need both if i use ruby as wsh script and doing "regular"
programming task?

thank you!
First things first: there's an ActiveRuby?! Well, not that noone saw it
coming
or anything. Actually, took ActiveState bloody long now that I think of
it.
Still, this is the first time I saw it mentioned at all.

DÅ?a Pondelok 20 Február 2006 11:06 Joey S. Eisma napísal:
> hello!
>
> as the subject goes, what's the difference of ActiveRuby and "regular"
> Ruby install? on windows, ActiveRuby defaults to C:\program files, while
> "regular" ruby on c:\ruby.

I suppose very little. ActiveState tends to bundle some extra
Windows-specific
stuff along with its language distribution. Like the wsh integration,
possibly some other libs too. IIRC, their Python distro also had quite a
bit
of extra documentation bundled with it.

> do i need both if i use ruby as wsh script and doing "regular"
> programming task?

I doubt it. Whatever floats your boat, I say. I'd personally stick with
just
one myself to avoid version mixup lossage, even if that's somewhat
unlikely.

David Vallner
49de3af41258a5772a1bad5c1533191d?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Hicks (Guest)
Looking at the ActiveState site, there isn't an "ActiveRuby" there. So
maybe he is talking about something else.

Robert
David Vallner wrote:
> First things first: there's an ActiveRuby?! Well, not that noone saw it coming
> or anything. Actually, took ActiveState bloody long now that I think of it.
> Still, this is the first time I saw it mentioned at all.

ActiveRuby Script

Been around for a while now.

http://arton.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

Has nothing to do with ActiveState.

--
James Britt

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion
of knowledge."
  - D. Boorstin
8f3037203159dd4382f2a6760bbb3a29?d=identicon&s=25 Joey Se (jeisma)
hello!

im talking about wsh scripting with ruby (rubyscript).

does it have different installer with "standard" ruby.

thanks!
C1bcb559f87f356698cfad9f6d630235?d=identicon&s=25 Hal Fulton (Guest)
Joey S. Eisma wrote:
> hello!
>
> im talking about wsh scripting with ruby (rubyscript).
>
> does it have different installer with "standard" ruby.

My understanding is yes, it's a different installer and
actually a different port of Ruby.

I think the actual project name is ActiveScriptRuby. Try
looking it up that way.

Hal