Forum: Ruby Pandora Early Beta Program

Bea287582f4125fa81a2ca945bd48753?d=identicon&s=25 Julian I. Kamil (Guest)
I am happy to announce the Pandora Early Beta Program which will allow
a limited number of participants to access Pandora 0.3 code next week
in order to test its general usability.  Please read more about the
program plan at this address:

http://pandora.rubyveil.com/pandora/Pandora/Projec...

Pandora is a Wiki and web application platform written in the Ruby
language that doesn't require any database, uses Textile and Silk
Veil for markups, supports skins, and has builtin user management
functions.

It aims to make it easy for a team of people to quickly collaborate on
the network and develop custom document components and extensions to
meet their specific needs. It provides a Ruby object-oriented
application framework called Pandora Box, which can be used to extend
its functionalities.

Check out the Ruby Veil Pandora Project Site at:
http://pandora.rubyveil.com/ and its RubyForge project entry at:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/pandora/.

Best regards,

Julian I. Kamil <julian.kamil@gmail.com>
Um, this is only faintly related: there is a website out there that
shares
the name and is a really cool thing for all who love music:
http://www.pandora.com/

:-)

Cheers

    robert
Bea287582f4125fa81a2ca945bd48753?d=identicon&s=25 Julian I. Kamil (Guest)
Thanks for pointing that out, Robert.  Someone else mentioned this to
me as well through an email.  I was aware of the Pandora online music
player after doing a Google
search for the domain name in early January.  Since the application is
addressing a different user domain, I am hoping that people will not
confuse the two.

Best,

Julian I. Kamil <julian.kamil@gmail.com>
D63c268960051bc17a310aa29fffd979?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Cantrell (Guest)
Julian I. Kamil wrote:
> Pandora is a Wiki and web application platform written in the Ruby
> language that doesn't require any database, uses Textile and Silk
> Veil for markups, supports skins, and has builtin user management
> functions.

I saw this a couple weeks back, and have the same question now. What
exactly is Silk Veil? I googled for _Silk Veil_ and _silk veil ruby_ and
similar constructs, but mostly just came up with stuff about belly
dancing...

Thanks,
-dave
Bea287582f4125fa81a2ca945bd48753?d=identicon&s=25 Julian I. Kamil (Guest)
;-)  Belly dancing is exactly what I'd like people to think of when
they think of Silk Veil...

It's not as exotic as it sounds, unfortunately...  Silk Veil is a class
extension of RedCloth that is meant to provide Pandora specific markups
so that people can reference pages, applications, and other resources
within a Pandora page easily without having to use HTML reference
markups ('href').

class Pandora::Silk Veil < RedCloth

If Pandora, who was created after the image of Venus, were to be
adorned with any cloths, it would have been made out of silk...  hence
the name Silk Veil.

Best,

Julian I. Kamil <julian.kamil@gmail.com>
C1bcb559f87f356698cfad9f6d630235?d=identicon&s=25 Hal Fulton (Guest)
Dave Cantrell wrote:

> I saw this a couple weeks back, and have the same question now. What
> exactly is Silk Veil?

I'm also curious.

 > I googled for _Silk Veil_ and _silk veil ruby_ and
> similar constructs, but mostly just came up with stuff about belly
> dancing...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Hal
32edd0717b3144d5c58a352d613abdc9?d=identicon&s=25 gabriele renzi (Guest)
Julian I. Kamil ha scritto:
> end

I wonder: did you run into issues subclassing RedCloth?
I, as some other people, had some little quirks with it (yeah, I must
submit a patch to _why sooner or later).

> If Pandora, who was created after the image of Venus, were to be
> adorned with any cloths, it would have been made out of silk...  hence
> the name Silk Veil.

<pedantic>
oh, come on, there was no silk in ancient greek!
</pedantic>
I meant, good luck with your project!
Bea287582f4125fa81a2ca945bd48753?d=identicon&s=25 Julian I. Kamil (Guest)
> I wonder: did you run into issues subclassing RedCloth?
> I, as some other people, had some little quirks with it (yeah, I must
> submit a patch to _why sooner or later).

Actually, I haven't run into any issues yet, but it is probably because
I haven't extended it in a very significant way.  You can look at the
code tomorrow as it is released in the beta program.

What issues should I watch for that you have run into?

>> If Pandora, who was created after the image of Venus, were to be
>> adorned with any cloths, it would have been made out of silk...  hence
>> the name Silk Veil.
>
> <pedantic>
> oh, come on, there was no silk in ancient greek!
> </pedantic>

Hey, I am no Greek, but only an admirer of the ancient mythology, so
don't shoot me...  ;-)  Ok, I'll remember this tidbit in case anyone
else ask in the future....

> I meant, good luck with your project!

Thanks bud, I appreciate it!

gabriele renzi wrote:

>> If Pandora, who was created after the image of Venus, were to be
>> adorned with any cloths, it would have been made out of silk...  hence
>> the name Silk Veil.
>

> <pedantic>
> oh, come on, there was no silk in ancient greek!
> </pedantic>

Really? Why not??

Hal
Cfdeff3ac35010e4de8f85d954f24f4a?d=identicon&s=25 Damphyr (Guest)
Hal Fulton wrote:

> Really? Why not??

Because silk was invented by the chinese and there were no silkworms in
the greek region. The legend is, that silk got to Greece because of
"enterprising" monks who managed to sneak silkworms into the hollow of
canes and bring them back to Constantinople. That was about 500 AD, so
no, there was no silk in ancient greece (it might have been known
though, because the Egyptians knew about silk - it's just that there has
been no archeological find with silk items or mention in any of the
texts from that period (1000 BC - 160 BC) ).
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva
Julian I. Kamil ha scritto:
>>I wonder: did you run into issues subclassing RedCloth?
>>I, as some other people, had some little quirks with it (yeah, I must
>>submit a patch to _why sooner or later).
>

> Actually, I haven't run into any issues yet, but it is probably because
> I haven't extended it in a very significant way.  You can look at the
> code tomorrow as it is released in the beta program.
>
> What issues should I watch for that you have run into?

Well, I had a tiny issue with the mismatch beetween [[page|title]] and
other textile markup based on [text], I recall I had a tiny bug with
[[links]] alone in a single line, and at times with escaping (i.e. I use
Syntax to highlight <pre> boxes and it somehow conflicts with redcloth
changing & to &amp;).
But probably nothing you'd need to face since Silk Veil is quite
different from my minimarkup :)