Forum: Ruby Which GUI toolkit in Ubuntu?

2192cf661c817335d093b5402eb8820b?d=identicon&s=25 pesachzon (Guest)

Can anyone recommend a gui toolkit that works well with ruby in ubuntu?

Thanks
E5c79d5a6d378dc4a26e20435be31657?d=identicon&s=25 Jamey Cribbs (Guest)
pesachzon wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can anyone recommend a gui toolkit that works well with ruby in ubuntu?
>
>Thanks

Ruby/Gtk2

Jamey
19f65b7dca6831edf989224b5ebd3fe0?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
On Saturday 18 February 2006 05:13 am, pesachzon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a gui toolkit that works well with ruby in ubuntu?
>
> Thanks

There are plenty. I've used all the available toolkits which have
bindings to
Ruby. When choosing a toolkit to use, you've to consider what the
project is
used for when writing code. Also, the main factor in choosing a toolkit
isn't
how complete the toolkit is, but how good the bindings are which are
bound to
ruby. The easiest which you'll most likely want to use is Ruby/GTK2,
there
are also ruby-gnome2 bindings, which you may find here..
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi

GTK2 is a good choice, especially if you're using the GNOME desktop. If
you
use KDE, then you'll want to use qtruby, its always best to use same
toolkit
to desktop for saving memory. Also think about using the GNOME/KDE
proprietary widgets to make the application look native to the
environment
which you're developing. Most are not educated on how GNOME and KDE
actually
save memory when you use them, but a discussion for another time.

Another good candidate is Tk. Some say its ugly. Tk is known not to be
the
prettiest toolkit, and there is a project to help with the very stupid
argument. Tk/Tile skins the Tk widgets, unfortunately not the menubar,
which
may be acceptable for most users on X11.
http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/

Tile will skin widgets, you may even pixmap them widgets to your liking,
view
screenshots here. http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/screenshots/ If
you use
the Tile widgets, there is a very nice method in 1.8.4 for automatically
enabling Tile for the standard Tk API.

Tk::Tile.__Import_Tile_Widgets__

Using the method above, all Tk widgets will use Tile widgets by default.
The
downfall of the method; some widgets are not 100% cross compatible with
the
older tk api, so you've to pass arguments to each widget like designing
Tk/Tile widgets. If you can use the tile widgets, and keep the program
safe
to take out the Import_Tile_Widgets method, then the app will be
portable so
you wont have to redesign the program for use with AquaTK.

The Tk API is not the easiest API in the world to use, so you might want
use Ruby/GTK2 :)

By the way, you might want to manually compile and get rid of the Ubuntu
packaged ruby. I have to use ubuntu on this laptop, and was rather
disappointed at the ubuntu team for using a CVS snapshot. Ubuntu ruby is
_NOT_ 1.8.3 release, the code is developmental. If you `ruby -v`, the
version
will appear.

Tsume
Db212dec0d83349ef63c6100957b52d4?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Feldt (Guest)
On 2/17/06, tsumeruby@tsumelabs.com <tsumeruby@tsumelabs.com> wrote:
> how complete the toolkit is, but how good the bindings are which are bound to
> ruby. The easiest which you'll most likely want to use is Ruby/GTK2, there
> are also ruby-gnome2 bindings, which you may find here..
> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi

Have anyone tried OpenGL via ruby-gnome2 in Ubuntu? Does it work well?

Thanks,

Robert Feldt
3cb4fdcf13aad6a7dcae83876b0e784e?d=identicon&s=25 Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT (Guest)
Hi!

At Sat, 18 Feb 2006 05:13:28 +0900, pesachzon wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a gui toolkit that works well with ruby in
> ubuntu?

Two that one should *not* choose for Ubuntu: qt and kde - for no other
reason than Ubuntu being GNOME based.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt