Forum: Ruby A dotnet UI on top of a Ruby code, anyone ?

91eb330fb36d1e03c856574dfb77d2bc?d=identicon&s=25 thibaut.barrere@gmail.com (Guest)
Hi!

I'm currently investigating how to create nice non-web UI on top of
Ruby applications, in a productive way.

As I'm very comfortable with it I thought about using .Net. Did anyone
actually developed a .Net UI (as a client for an underlying Ruby
application, whatever the communication channel is) ?

Or is it hard to develop really nice UI using any of the various ruby
widget toolkits around ?

I'd be interested in any type feedback.

cheers

Thibaut
3eda6fcd3204ef285fa52176c28c4d3e?d=identicon&s=25 Aemca (Guest)
If you want to use .Net you might want to have a look at BOO.

It isn't Ruby but it might be good enough.

<thibaut.barrere@gmail.com> wrote in message
573b9499030e1ccb867ef80f0ff1ac49?d=identicon&s=25 m4dc4p (Guest)
Check out the work John Lam is doing on a Ruby-CLR bridge. It's not
released yet but its very promising:

http://www.iunknown.com/
C62c63cb6aa088a5b2c01570e288943d?d=identicon&s=25 Huw Collingbourne (Guest)
You may be interested to take a look at our Ruby In Steel IDE for Visual
Studio 2005. The beta version (0.5) will be available for download from
www.sapphiresteel.com some time within the next few weeks (there's
nothing
there yet). Steel is a language add-in for VS2005 and will provide basic
editing, colour coding etc for Ruby. The initial release will be very
simple
(so don't expect too much!) - however, we are also working on a much
more
interesting and complete system about which we'll have more to say later
on.
The Steel IDE will be the 'default' IDE for the new Ruby programming
columns
in Bitwise Magazine and we'll have a few screenshots of the system
online
early next week. It will available free of charge.

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

> As I'm very comfortable with it I thought about using .Net. Did anyone
> actually developed a .Net UI (as a client for an underlying Ruby
> application, whatever the communication channel is) ?

No, sorry. But if you search for "dotnet" at rubyforge.org you'll find
three libraries which could be interesting to you.

> Or is it hard to develop really nice UI using any of the various ruby
> widget toolkits around ?

No. Bindings for Tk are built in and you can find bindings for many
other toolkits. Personally I like Qt so I use the Qt-Bindings [1].
There's a book [2] available, too.

> I'd be interested in any type feedback.

I hope this helps a bit.

Regards,