Forum: NGINX nginx is too strict about accept-ranges

2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 jakubp (Guest)
Hi

I am using nginx to proxy/cache requests from different origin servers,
some
of which I don't have access to (can't change their behaviour). Recently
stumbled upon a problem where nginx wouldn't serve partial objects (even
after they are cached) although upstream server would happily do that.
It
happens because upstream server doesn't serve "Accept-Ranges: bytes"
header.
RFC7233 states that use of this header is optional so nginx might be
relying
on it a bit too heavily.

Is there a configuration knob to make nginx ignore absence of this
header
(or force nginx to allow ranges)? Or a patch available to apply? If not
-
are there any plans to add one?

Thanks,
Kuba

Posted at Nginx Forum:
Hello!

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 08:23:28AM -0400, jakubp wrote:

> Is there a configuration knob to make nginx ignore absence of this header
> (or force nginx to allow ranges)? Or a patch available to apply? If not -
> are there any plans to add one?

Trivial workaround is to add the header with an additional proxy
layer.

--
Maxim Dounin
http://nginx.org/