Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Mongrel 0.3.4 -- Win32 Gems/Better CGIWrapper

8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
Hello Everyone,

Today's Mongrel is the first release to sport spiffy pre-built win32
gems.
This comes thanks to Wilson Bilkovich donating some Rakefile magic that
does
the stuff for me.  Everyone who uses win32 should send Wilson a
thank-you
since without him you'd be a victim of my laziness for at least a few
more
weeks.

People who are testing and trying Mongrel out should grab this release,
but
please expect it to have bugs as there's pretty fresh code in it.  It's
been
tested but there's still a few situations to figure out (like redirects
from
behind a proxy).

== What Is Mongrel

Mongrel is a fast HTTP library and server for Ruby that is intended for
hosting Ruby web applications of any kind using plain HTTP rather than
FastCGI or SCGI. It is framework agnostic and already supports Ruby On
Rails, Og+Nitro, and Camping frameworks. (Is anyone else getting tired
of
this?)

You can get information on Mongrel and look at people's dogs at:

* http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

== Getting Mongrel

You can go to the project page to get the source or gem downloads
manually,
or you can just do:

 $ gem install mongrel (people who have it already can do gem update)

== Changes

This release is mostly about getting a win32 gem out for people to try.
Hopefully it all works right, but let me know.

There is also a much improved and refined CGIWrapper for getting Rails
work right, and this has been tested with eXPlainPMT as well as Typo.
Redirects work, forms, etc.  What doesn't work right yet is redirecting
when
you're behind a proxy, and probably anything related to file uploads.
That'll come next release.

There's also a few little bug fixes.

== Next Release

The 0.4 goal is to get Rails support rock solid.  To get there I've
started
installing various Rails applications and will use Watir to run
automated
tests.  Anyone who has some Watir tests floating around that they'd like
donate will be my friend.

I've also got a plan for the mysterious caching thing I've mentioned in
the
past.  I'll be writing a little document and asking for feedback as it's
quite weird.

Otherwise, please test this 0.3.4 release and let me know what you hit.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
D810e7436feb302a3e4e6b11895a7f65?d=identicon&s=25 Gael Pourriel (Guest)
Just tested the win32 gem and it seems to work fine however I cant get
the session to works with Mongrel, anyone's got the same problem?

Also, is it possible to load te Daemon libraries only if we use te -d
option? I had to change the mongrel_rails file to:

  def daemonize
    # save this for later since daemonize will hose it
     if @daemon
      require 'daemons/daemonize'  <<<

Gael
On Feb 16, 2006, at 1:26 AM, Gael Pourriel wrote:

> Just tested the win32 gem and it seems to work fine however I cant get
> the session to works with Mongrel, anyone's got the same problem?

Same session problem on OS X.

Cookies are not getting set (sent?) in the browser (Safari).

--
-- Tom Mornini
29b15f133c26b6dac0e4954d61733db9?d=identicon&s=25 Larry Kelly (Guest)

I get this error  "missing MSVCR70.dll"

--Larry

On 2/16/06, Tom Mornini <tmornini@infomania.com> wrote:
> --
> -- Tom Mornini

Best Regards,
-Larry
"Work, work, work...there is no satisfactory alternative."
            --- E.Taft Benson
8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
Ok, I'll make that change since the win32 people can't really use the
daemons thing anyway.

Not so sure why the sessions aren't going through.  They seem to be
working
for me on OSX, Linux, and NetBSD but let me double check.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
Eca15b2b601e7e577d38bd5210a753ac?d=identicon&s=25 Carl Youngblood (Guest)
mongrel_rails stop doesn't work for me on win32.  It tries to find some
pid
file in /log but it's not there.  When I try to use ctl-C on the mongrel
window it doesn't respond.  What's the right way to stop mongrel on
win32?

Thanks,
Carl
722a18819725c0f6275b556ced89a3f4?d=identicon&s=25 Sascha Ebach (Guest)
Carl Youngblood wrote:
> mongrel_rails stop doesn't work for me on win32.  It tries to find some
> pid file in /log but it's not there.  When I try to use ctl-C on the
> mongrel window it doesn't respond.  What's the right way to stop mongrel
> on win32?

There is always the reset button on your machine.

just kidding ;)

-Sascha Ebach
8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
Yep, I¹ve noticed this too.  Not sure why it does this, especially since
other programs can CTRL-C no problem.

Someone contacted me about creating a win32 service for Mongrel, so that
will probably solve a whole ton of problems.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
Hey Larry,

Yep, seems when I built the gem it used a different DLL than what some
people have.  I¹ll be fixing that up in the next release.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
Yep, I can do that.  I actually may have someone who'll help with the
win32
side of things and make this into a service instead.   Stay tuned.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/