Forum: Ruby on Rails Lighttpd now works for production. Development is broken?

25bbc96d9c53647354cb724e744b2222?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Freemyer (Guest)
I've finally gotten lighttpd working for my production instance (SUSE
10.0 with SSL).

(Had to install the fcgi dev toolkit, the SUSE 10 ruby-fcgi rpm, and
the fcgi gem.  I'm not positive all 3 were required, but that is what
I did.)

Now the devel instance of my app is broken.

I'm not sure how to fix it.

Previously I was using WEBrick for both devel and production.  (their
on the same box).

I only have the lighttpd config file setup to support my production
instance.

Now when I try to run rails/app.devel/script/server it appears to try
and run lighttpd.

Unfortunately this fails.  Do I need to update my lighttpd config to
support devel, or somehow force script/server to launch WEBrick?

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group
On Wednesday, February 15, 2006, at 6:41 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:

>support devel, or somehow force script/server to launch WEBrick?
We tried to use one file for both production and development but it
never worked very well. Right now, for DevLists.com there is config/
lighttpd.conf for development and config/lighttpd-devlists.conf for
production.

I like having app name in the production config file name -- we run
multiple instances of lighttpd and this makes it easier to kill the
right one when needed.

Best Regards, Roustem.
132a94ca65959bda6c74fae54bff2425?d=identicon&s=25 Ezra Zygmuntowicz (Guest)
On Feb 15, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> support devel, or somehow force script/server to launch WEBrick?
> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

Greg-

	What version of l;ighttpd are you using? The recent versions
( >=1.4.9 ) cannot use relative paths in the config file. So the
lighttpd.conf file in your config directory needs to be edited and
add full absolute paths to your public dir and your dispatch.fcgi.

Cheers-
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
ezra@yakima-herald.com
25bbc96d9c53647354cb724e744b2222?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Freemyer (Guest)
On 16 Feb 2006 00:10:14 -0000, Roustem Karimov
<devlists-rubyonrails@devlists.com> wrote:

> >Rails mailing list
> right one when needed.
>
> Best Regards, Roustem.

Thanks,  I can do that easily enough for my standard instances
(production, QA, devel).

OTOH, with WEBrick I was creating little sandboxes all the time.  I
would simply make a copy of my devel setup and run script/server
--port nnn, where nnn was a unique number.

Is there a simple way to make script/server invoke WEBrick, or some
other way to easily launch WEBrick manually?

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group
Forensics for the 21st Century
5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 Roustem Karimov (Guest)
On Wednesday, February 15, 2006, at 7:16 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:

It is easy:

./script/server webrick

Best Regards, Roustem.
On 2/15/06, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezra@yakima-herald.com> wrote:
> > Now the devel instance of my app is broken.
> > and run lighttpd.
> > Forensics for the 21st Century
> lighttpd.conf file in your config directory needs to be edited and
> add full absolute paths to your public dir and your dispatch.fcgi.
>
> Cheers-
> -Ezra Zygmuntowicz
> Yakima Herald-Republic
> WebMaster
> http://yakimaherald.com
> 509-577-7732
> ezra@yakima-herald.com

Thanks Ezra,

That fixed my immediate issue and I see that "script/server webrick"
can be used in my sandboxes.  I think I'm set.

I think I read that edge rails has a fix to be compatible with the
relative path issue.  That will be very handy as well.

Greg