Forum: Ruby on Rails Does your *shared* hosting account work without errors?

6559f9b9607a89074ea5e238d31ffbc2?d=identicon&s=25 Kelly Felkins (Guest)
Does your *shared* hosting account work without errors?
I'm interested in both positive and negative reports. If you are
willing,
please contribute

   - name of the hosting service
   - how long you have used them
   - your experience ("flawless!", "it's crap!")

You *do not* need to reply saying your VPS service works great. This is
about *shared* hosting and I'm trying to understand if it
works...anywhere.

(Yes, I am trying this again. Responses from my last question veered off
course. Some people did reply with success stories. Thank you.)

My premise is that 1) shared hosting services use apache proxied to
lighttpd
to fastcgi, and 2) with hundreds of users, requiring lots of apache
restarts
and 3) periodic errors for visitors to the hosted site.
678aa0aabf79a4933b7efc6d585dc141?d=identicon&s=25 Matt White (Guest)
Kelly,

1) TextDrive
2) Six Months
3) Lots of downtime, for both web services and email. Server restarts
seem
to be quite common. I'm on Jervis. Generally, I haven't been too pleased
with the experience. Features are good, reliability bad.

Thanks for the effort... I'm very curious about the results.

Matt
Ac1da5d66d51a1c3b843221032247b30?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Goodwin (Guest)
1) TextDrive
2) *About 1 year*
3) Lots of downtime, for both web services and email. Server restarts
seem to be quite common. I'm on *Pendrell*. Generally, I haven't been
too pleased with the experience. Features are good, reliability bad.

Eric

Matt White wrote:
> Matt
>         * your experience ("flawless!", "it's crap!")
>     to lighttpd to fastcgi, and 2) with hundreds of users, requiring

Eric Goodwin
http://www.ericgoodwin.com
0f1fa6b6ea69391ae1d1f64b33cb77b8?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Wagoner (Guest)
1) TextDrive
2) About 6 months
3) No downtime of consequence (I'm on Burnaby). I've got several rails
apps or differing sizes across multiple domains there, with no
troubles I can blame on TxD. I develop locally on WinXP and WEBrick,
and upload to TxD for production under Lighttpd. I've been very happy
there.

-eric
E99da4efa497d1501e6a75a1583c85d7?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Welty (Guest)
1. Dreamhost
2. 6 months
3. pretty good. Some downtimes, a few of consequence. Some from crashes,
few from hardware problems. I get the idea that there are lots of users
on
my machine (foothill).
Ef0db53920b243d6758c2f6b1306df0d?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Ross (cwd)
on 2006-02-15 23:02
- Planet Argon
- Since 3/05
- Very good. I have monitors that check uptime, and they're better than
99%.

There have been a few minor glitches, but their customer service has
been excellent. You'd have to check with them regarding how they set
things up now. My first Rails site there was Apache/fcgi. Now,
everything is proxied to lighttpd, which flat-out rocks.

Kelly Felkins wrote:
> Does your *shared* hosting account work without errors?
> I'm interested in both positive and negative reports. If you are
> willing,
> please contribute
>
>    - name of the hosting service
>    - how long you have used them
>    - your experience ("flawless!", "it's crap!")
>
> You *do not* need to reply saying your VPS service works great. This is
> about *shared* hosting and I'm trying to understand if it
> works...anywhere.
>
> (Yes, I am trying this again. Responses from my last question veered off
> course. Some people did reply with success stories. Thank you.)
>
> My premise is that 1) shared hosting services use apache proxied to
> lighttpd
> to fastcgi, and 2) with hundreds of users, requiring lots of apache
> restarts
> and 3) periodic errors for visitors to the hosted site.
A2b2f4ee23989dc68529baef9cbddcd6?d=identicon&s=25 Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov (Guest)
1) TextDrive
2) 8 months since deployment
3) 3 apps, ones on Burnaby and Thurlow - minimum downtime,
wonderfully reliable, happy clients. One on Gilford - enormous,
unbearable and embarassing amount of downtime averaging to a server
restart every day or two, with an hour of downtime every time it goes
back up due to the long fsck. Overall experience - "they know their
thing but Rails is unfit for shared hosting as a technology, so no
blame on them".

I expect any shared hosting provider offering normal level of control
for Rails deployment to accumulate the same problems TextDrive has as
soona s the user base grows big enough.

--
Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov
me at julik.nl