Forum: Ruby on Rails Webrick hangs rendering page with multiple link_to_remote

D8282973bac954d7a7633d6002250fa7?d=identicon&s=25 Colm (Guest)
on 2006-02-15 13:19
I'm hoping that somebody here can put me straight on what's happening
here,
or give me a pointer on how to figure it out. Right now I'm at my wits
end!

I'm using rails 1.0, ruby 1.8.2, Windows XP and Firefox 1.5.0.1
and I'm using development mode with webrick.

The following text is in my view:

    <% for letter in 'A'..'Z' %>
        <%= link_to_remote(letter, { :update => 'directory-item',
      	  :url => { :controller => 'project', :action => 'list_users',
            :alpha => letter },
           })
         %>
    <% end %>

The problem is that the page appears to render fine.
However, webrick is now locked up and will not process any
further requests - I have to stop the webrick process and
restart it. There are apparently no javascript errors.

If I change 'A'..'Z' to 'A'..'N' then everything works fine.
Also, if I use Internet Explorer there is no problem at all
so it seems like firefox is involved somehow.

On a related note, I find webrick generally to be pretty fragile.
Unfortunately as I'm on windows at the moment I don't have the
option of switching to lighthttpd.

Any help much appreciated.

C.
D8282973bac954d7a7633d6002250fa7?d=identicon&s=25 Colm (Guest)
on 2006-02-15 13:25
Colm wrote:

> Also, if I use Internet Explorer there is no problem at all
> so it seems like firefox is involved somehow.

Quick followup: if I access the page using Internet Explorer
everything is fine. If I then try again with FireFox everything is
fine also.. however the problem comes back after a few hours of
development (possibly due to javascript errors etc in the meantime?)