Forum: Ruby on Rails integrating vbulletin

F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)
Has anyone successfully integrated (embedded) vbulletin into a rails
app? I would be curious to see if/how this worked.

RForum still seems quite beta so I am looking for something a little
more tried and true.

thanks
adam
24499e811f19343c7dc406104e9b5785?d=identicon&s=25 Belorion (Guest)
On 2/14/06, Adam Denenberg <straightflush@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone successfully integrated (embedded) vbulletin into a rails
> app? I would be curious to see if/how this worked.
>
> RForum still seems quite beta so I am looking for something a little
> more tried and true.

I have not done any work with vbulletin, but have built in support for
phpBB
in my Rails app.  This isn't "full" support (ie, not all operations are
supported, in fact not even all tables are mapped), but you can do
things
such as creating new threads, query a given users last post, etc.  If
there
is interest (from you, or someone else who sees this), I will share what
I've done.  I've been using it in production for several months, and it
hasn't thrown my phpBB board into any convulsions ;)

Matt
F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)
i would be interested in the work you have done.  You can send it off
or on list, if you dont mind.

thanks a bunch
adam
5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 Mikkel Bruun (Guest)
>> Matt
Please do!!!

There are many good forum package written in php...i see no reason to
implement a rails forum...but rails integration with exsisting packages
are VERY interesting...

Mikkel Bruun

www.strongside.dk    - Football Portal(DK)
nflfeed.helenius.org - Football News(DK)
ting.minline.dk      - Buy Old Stuff!(DK)
F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)
i completely agree.  Vbulletin and the likes have been out for quite a
long time, and have been thru a lot of stress testing. I see no reason
to re-invent the wheel here.

Any integration help would be greatly appreciated.

adam

On 14 Feb 2006 19:19:08 -0000, Mikkel Bruun
24499e811f19343c7dc406104e9b5785?d=identicon&s=25 Belorion (Guest)
On 2/14/06, Adam Denenberg <straightflush@gmail.com> wrote:

> i would be interested in the work you have done.  You can send it off
> or on list, if you dont mind.
>
> thanks a bunch
> adam

Okay, check out
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/PhpBB+Integration.
My original post to the wiki was from some time ago, so I went ahead and
added some additional stuff at the bottom.  If you need any
clarification,
don't hesistate to ask.  Like I said, I've been using this in production
for
quite some time without any problems.

As far as vBulletin integration is concerned, I've never actually
administered a vbulletin board before, but I would take a wild guess
that
the complexity regarding Rails integration to be about the same.
Basically,
all you need to understand to get it working is:

1) Figure out how they do sessions (ie, where is the informatoin stored
on
the DB, what are the names of the cookies)

2) Create your user model to incoroporate what you've learned above

3) Understand what tables and fields are modified when someone creates a
topic, and mimic this behaviour.

I've found integration with my phpBB board useful for things such as
News
that gets posted to the main website which is *also* automatically
posted to
the forums to create a place for discussion, etc. (adventuresdawn.com)

Hope that helps.

Matt