Forum: Ruby Ruby- interactions with Appservers such as Oracle/Jboss

C5bcd2d0c5b9b4ad12e1dda2d89d2e8d?d=identicon&s=25 Arjun Khanna (Guest)
on 2006-02-14 17:31
Hi:
I am evaluating using Ruby to build an enterprise application. I expect
that the application setup will include a browser [ie], a (1)webserver
such as apache and an (2)application server such as that provided by
Oracle/Jboss (3)the data base.

Before starting on such a project, I wanted to find out  if there any
known issues related to ruby interacting with application EJB's [j2ee
compliant]. Is there a specific weblog/documentation set where I can
readup about known issues?

Are there any example applications available for download where one can
see a prototype application built using Ruby + Jboss [or equivalent
freeware]?

Thanks in advance.
Arjun Khanna.
Arjun Khanna wrote:

> Before starting on such a project, I wanted to find out  if there any
> known issues related to ruby interacting with application EJB's [j2ee
> compliant]. Is there a specific weblog/documentation set where I can
> readup about known issues?

You should have a medical team on hand, as J2EE developers, after
exposure to Ruby, have a high risk of head explosion when they return to
coding EJBs.

Just a heads up.

--
James Britt

C5bcd2d0c5b9b4ad12e1dda2d89d2e8d?d=identicon&s=25 Arjun Khanna (Guest)
on 2006-02-14 18:17
Thanks much. I am really glad to hear that Ruby development is a lot
easier than EJBs. However, there is some logic already embedded in the
EJB's and there is a fair chance of saving execution time by re-using
that logic. So my question still stands- Are there any known
projects/weblogs/documentation-sets where I can readup on success or
problems related to integrating, making calls outs to EJB's from Ruby.
Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate it.

Arjun.

James Britt wrote:
> Arjun Khanna wrote:
>
>> Before starting on such a project, I wanted to find out  if there any
>> known issues related to ruby interacting with application EJB's [j2ee
>> compliant]. Is there a specific weblog/documentation set where I can
>> readup about known issues?
>
> You should have a medical team on hand, as J2EE developers, after
> exposure to Ruby, have a high risk of head explosion when they return to
> coding EJBs.
>
> Just a heads up.
>

> --
> James Britt
>
> http://www.ruby-doc.org       - Ruby Help & Documentation
> http://www.artima.com/rubycs/ - The Journal By & For Rubyists
> http://www.rubystuff.com      - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
> http://www.jamesbritt.com     - Playing with Better Toys
> http://www.30secondrule.com   - Building Better Tools
DÅ?a Utorok 14 Február 2006 18:06 James Britt napísal:
> You should have a medical team on hand, as J2EE developers, after
> exposure to Ruby, have a high risk of head explosion when they return to
> coding EJBs.
>
> Just a heads up.

Sooo, head explosions are now treatable by paramedics? Oh joy, now I can
fulfill item no. 7 on my Things To Do Before I Die: Establish a world
record
in the amount of lit firecrackers I can fit into my mouth :P

David Vallner
Arjun Khanna wrote:
> Thanks much. I am really glad to hear that Ruby development is a lot
> easier than EJBs. However, there is some logic already embedded in the
> EJB's and there is a fair chance of saving execution time by re-using
> that logic. So my question still stands- Are there any known
> projects/weblogs/documentation-sets where I can readup on success or
> problems related to integrating, making calls outs to EJB's from Ruby.
> Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate it.

I believe Obie Fernandez' forthcoming book will cover these sorts of
things.

--
James Britt

B88adfae2d92df54499e483e6514d90a?d=identicon&s=25 Geoff Lane (Guest)
Well, you can definitely expose the EJBs as Web Services and access them
using Ruby that way. Is that what you are talking about?

If so . . .

SOAP4R provides everything you need to work with SOAP Services. The
current release works best with RPC-literal services, but the latest
from the source trunk greatly improves Document-literal support.

wsdl2ruby can generate classes for you so that you don't have to guess
about the code generated.

Some example code:

require 'service'

service =
SOAP::WSDLDriverFactory.new('http://example.com/services/Contacts').create_rpc_driver
service.generate_explicit_type = true
service.wiredump_dev = STDOUT if $DEBUG

result = service.SearchContacts(SearchContactsRequest.new('some_name'))
if result.contacts.length > 0
     result.contacts.each { |c| print_contact(c) }
else
     puts "No contacts found..."
end
F690ec04b0501b74b033fc64ff4f682b?d=identicon&s=25 Dean Wampler (Guest)
The forthcoming Pragmatic book "Enterprise Integration with Ruby" may
be helpful. The preview PDF doesn't discuss interfacing to EJB's, per
se, but it does go over options for communicating with non-ruby
systems.

Also, take a look at JSON (Javascript Object Notation:
http://www.json.org/), which is supported in many languages and is
becoming a popular & lightweight protocol for data passing, including
AJAX applications.

HTH,

dean

On 2/14/06, Geoff Lane <geoff@zorched.net> wrote:
> about the code generated.
> result = service.SearchContacts(SearchContactsRequest.new('some_name'))
> > such as apache and an (2)application server such as that provided by

--
Dean Wampler
http://www.aspectprogramming.com
http://www.newaspects.com
http://www.contract4j.org
7fee26ef2fd35e08c03b4f64bcca8973?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Kuntz (Guest)
Are you specifically talking about integration with Rails or are you
considering using something like JRuby to run Ruby code within JBoss?

Tim Kuntz
Fc7c80c5cfa60f2003237fafb3c613d8?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)

I am interested to know how you made out with your work. I am
interested in doing the same as you.

Did you find any resources with information on how to make calls to
EJBs from Ruby?

If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony

P.S. I've purchased "Enterprise Integration with Rails" and read it but
have not found how to set up, or make calls to an EJB.