Forum: Ruby Irb problem in OSX

41c597a48c80e37ba68d1adc7095ea0e?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
I'm not sure how I got into this situation being a Mac newbie, but I
think it started after running one of the various "fix ruby on OS X"
scripts.

The problem is, everytime I click on my Terminal shortcut on the dock,
it jumps directly into irb. I have to type "exit" to go back to the
bash shell.

Anyone know how I might fix this?
On Feb 12, 2006, at 6:23 PM, ssmoot@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm not sure how I got into this situation being a Mac newbie, but I
> think it started after running one of the various "fix ruby on OS X"
> scripts.
>
> The problem is, everytime I click on my Terminal shortcut on the dock,
> it jumps directly into irb. I have to type "exit" to go back to the
> bash shell.
>
> Anyone know how I might fix this?

Check for something goofy in the file ~/.profile.

James Edward Gray II
31af45939fec7e3c4ed8a798c0bd9b1a?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Smillie (Guest)
On Feb 13, 2006, at 0:39, James Edward Gray II wrote:

>> bash shell.
>>
>> Anyone know how I might fix this?
>>

> Check for something goofy in the file ~/.profile.

Check Terminal's preferences as well, it can be set to run particular
commands on startup.

Another thought is: is your dock shortcut to the actual Terminal
application, or to a Terminal file?

matthew smillie.
37a3c73ffbf864e4b28f7f2384ee12ce?d=identicon&s=25 Timothy Hunter (tim-hunter)
ssmoot@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm not sure how I got into this situation being a Mac newbie, but I
> think it started after running one of the various "fix ruby on OS X"
> scripts.
>
> The problem is, everytime I click on my Terminal shortcut on the dock,
> it jumps directly into irb. I have to type "exit" to go back to the
> bash shell.
>
> Anyone know how I might fix this?

Is is possible that you added 'irb' to one of your shell start-up
scripts, such as .profile, .bashrc or .bash_profile?
41c597a48c80e37ba68d1adc7095ea0e?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
I don't see anything in ~/.profile except some export line to set the
path. I'm not sure where .bashrc or .bash_profile would be located...
DÅ?a Pondelok 13 Február 2006 03:48 ssmoot@gmail.com napísal:
> I don't see anything in ~/.profile except some export line to set the
> path. I'm not sure where .bashrc or .bash_profile would be located...

In the same place as .profile. It's nothing strange not to have any of
those.

David Vallner
41c597a48c80e37ba68d1adc7095ea0e?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Yeah, I don't have 'em then I guess.

I think it must be something like that. If I'm quick enough, I can
clearly see "clear; irb" when I open a shell just before it drops into
irb.

I just don't know how to find out where it's coming from...

Thanks for the help btw.
ssmoot@gmail.com wrote:
> Yeah, I don't have 'em then I guess.
>
> I think it must be something like that. If I'm quick enough, I can
> clearly see "clear; irb" when I open a shell just before it drops into
> irb.
>
> I just don't know how to find out where it's coming from...
>
> Thanks for the help btw.

The section called "INVOCATION" in the bash man page describes all the
scripts that bash can read during startup, and where it looks for them.
Keep in mind that these scripts can call other scripts.

Good hunting!