Forum: Ruby Howto use rubyscript2exe to package some external applicatio

67bb4df2775f6a6b603347dce7119571?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Dear all,

I would like to distribute a Ruby application that calls
an external  application.
So far, I give the potential user the opportunity
to enter or  change some Gnuplot code, which is
sent to Gnuplot via Open3 and produces  some plot.
Now, I would like to avoid asking the user to make
sure he has  Gnuplot installed.

1.) How can I ensure that everything that I need from Gnuplot
is  included in my application ? Is this done automatically
by rubyscript2exe ?
2.) Can the Open3 syntax be used even if Gnuplot is  not
installed on the system the new distributed file is run on -
will  some file from the package created by rubyscript2exe
(question 1) be  substituted for the missing installation of Gnuplot ?

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Axel
DÅ?a Nedeľa 12 Február 2006 23:53 Nuralanur@aol.com napísal:
> 1.) How can I ensure that everything that I need from Gnuplot
>
> Axel

I have very, very strong doubts rubyscript2exe will detect and pack
external
applications. My wild guess is rubyscript2exe sort of dumps the state of
the
interpreter at the end of the execution of your script, with all
dependencies
loaded in memory.

Since Gnuplot is an external application not residing in the memory
space of
the interpreter, you're probably stuck with making sure Gnuplot is
installed.
You could also make an installer for your application and distribute
Gnuplot
with it.

Disclaimer: I might be completely wrong.

David Vallner
669b7046f02e5dfc4bda4421f1069731?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Fenton (Guest)
Nuralanur@aol.com wrote:
> I would like to distribute a Ruby application that calls
> an external  application.

> 1.) How can I ensure that everything that I need from Gnuplot
> is  included in my application ? Is this done automatically
> by rubyscript2exe ?

No, it's not done automatically. You can tell rubyscript2exe to include
an external executable in the package by setting the constant
RUBYSCRIPT2EXE_BIN at "compile"
time

RUBYSCRIPT2EXE_BIN = [ 'myapp.exe' ]

When the "compiled" executable is run, PATH is altered so that the
bundled executable will be available.

This works well for executables that are single self-contained files, as
well as for
dlls (using RUBYSCRIPT2EXE_DLLS), but probably not so well for programs
that expect lots of support files to be installed alongside.

hth
alex
2e4e064abe3ea2a2ccc5b64acdc1ab08?d=identicon&s=25 Erik Veenstra (Guest)
> I would like to distribute a Ruby application that calls an
> external application. So far, I give the potential user the
> opportunity to enter or change some Gnuplot code, which is
> sent to Gnuplot via Open3 and produces some plot. Now, I
> would like to avoid asking the user to make sure he has
> Gnuplot installed.
>
> 1.) How can I ensure that everything that I need from Gnuplot
> is included in my application ? Is this done automatically by
> rubyscript2exe ?

No, it's not.

But, according to the RubyScript2Exe documentation, you can do
this: Put everything you need (your application and other
applications) in one directory tree, build an RBA from this
directory with Tar2RubyScript [1] and "compile" this RBA with
RubyScript2Exe [2].

All steps, including the rationale of both projects, are
described in [3].

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

 [1] http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/tar2rubyscript/index.html