Forum: Ruby Rake Friday?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
A87f7a014c624587fab0d3d78c5b9c18?d=identicon&s=25 Bil Kleb (Guest)
on 2006-02-12 02:03
(Received via mailing list)
Is there a Friday,

  http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/fridays.html

on Rake in the works?

I want one.

Later,
4299e35bacef054df40583da2d51edea?d=identicon&s=25 James Gray (bbazzarrakk)
on 2006-02-12 02:12
(Received via mailing list)
On Feb 11, 2006, at 7:03 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:

> Is there a Friday,
>
>  http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/fridays.html
>
> on Rake in the works?
>
> I want one.

That is a great idea.  :)

James Edward Gray II
Cee0292fffa691f1fb320d5400200e99?d=identicon&s=25 Marcel Molina Jr. (Guest)
on 2006-02-12 02:21
(Received via mailing list)
On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:12:38AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> That is a great idea.  :)
Yes. Please. But don't let that get in the way, Jim, of you writing a
Friday
on DSLs ;)

marcel
Ff63c03fd68754adbadd2c6314646bef?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Guindon (agorilla)
on 2006-02-12 02:26
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/11/06, Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org> wrote:
> >
> > That is a great idea.  :)
>
> Yes. Please. But don't let that get in the way, Jim, of you writing a Friday
> on DSLs ;)

I'll take one of each.
70c8da82d09d3866222976ab8978133c?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Nugent (Guest)
on 2006-02-12 04:34
(Received via mailing list)
How about a double whammy?  A book on DSL design using Rake as the
example basis.

Learn DSL design and Rake in one fell swoop!
77753dfbc8b973886f745712555aee6b?d=identicon&s=25 Edward Kenworthy (countbrass)
on 2006-02-12 18:38
(Received via mailing list)
Hi All

I've been programming for more years than I care to remember and am
enjoying programming in Ruby (especially on Rails). So far I've found
nothing "new" (to me) in Ruby, with the exception of the lisp-like
features and that's something I'd really like to explore.
Unfortunately, unless I've overlooked it, neither the pick-axe book
nor "the ruby way"  seem to cover this. I'm particularly interested
in which common problems these features let me solve in a more
elegant and concise way than using regular structured/oo approaches.

Anyone able to point me to a resource please?

Edward
Bc6d88907ce09158581fbb9b469a35a3?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
on 2006-02-12 19:06
(Received via mailing list)
Edward Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've been programming for more years than I care to remember and am
> enjoying programming in Ruby (especially on Rails). So far I've found
> nothing "new" (to me) in Ruby, with the exception of the lisp-like
> features and that's something I'd really like to explore.

Could you explain what you mean by "lisp-like features"?

Also, you may want to search the list archives for "lisp", as there have
been a number of threads related to it.


--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"
430ea1cba106cc65b7687d66e9df4f06?d=identicon&s=25 David Vallner (Guest)
on 2006-02-12 19:44
(Received via mailing list)
DÅ?a Nedeľa 12 Február 2006 18:38 Edward Kenworthy napísal:
>
> Anyone able to point me to a resource please?
>
> Edward

Well, Ruby is a strongly derivative language, there's not THAT much in
terms
of new and exciting features around. It's more about picking out which
you
think are nifty and which not.

As for the lisp-like operations, I'd say the blocks as lexical closures
are a
notable one. Not very often used as such, but they are somewhat useful
when
you want to develop your own control structures, As Seen In Smalltalk
(tm).

I'd also put collection mapping / filtering using blocks as one. Which
pretty
much reduces the messy nested loops that you end up with when trying to
do
this in lessay Java into in my opinion much neater method chains. And
then
there's also Enumerable#inject, the swiss knife of collection
operations,
which lets you do pretty much everything. Cf. my favourite #inject
example, a
very cryptic O(n)n factorial:

	class Integer
		def factorial
			(1..self).inject(1){|m, n| m * n}
		end
	end

I also think strongtyping.rb lets you do something along the lines of
poor
man's multimethods. Or rather method overloading based on runtime types
instead of compile-time.

David Vallner
77753dfbc8b973886f745712555aee6b?d=identicon&s=25 Edward Kenworthy (countbrass)
on 2006-02-12 23:03
(Received via mailing list)
Thanks for all that David :-)
57e939ff00f9df2670a09f417c08da5e?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Knowles (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 01:34
(Received via mailing list)
+1, definite buy for me.
4299e35bacef054df40583da2d51edea?d=identicon&s=25 James Gray (bbazzarrakk)
on 2006-02-13 01:48
(Received via mailing list)
On Feb 12, 2006, at 11:38 AM, Edward Kenworthy wrote:

> Anyone able to point me to a resource please?

I'm currently reading Higher-Order Perl by Mark Jason Dominus, which
is really just a functional programming techniques handbook for
Perl.  I'm writing about what I'm finding along the way, and
translating much of the code.  It probably makes a lot more sense if
you read the book first, but here are the links, in case they help:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/01/1...
callbacks
http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/01/1...
http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/01/2...
memoization
http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/01/3...
chapters-4-and-5

I'll have the infinite streams article up soon...

James Edward Gray II
0ec4920185b657a03edf01fff96b4e9b?d=identicon&s=25 Yukihiro Matsumoto (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 05:43
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

In message "Re: Ruby's lisp features."
    on Mon, 13 Feb 2006 02:38:18 +0900, Edward Kenworthy
<edward@kenworthy.info> writes:

|I've been programming for more years than I care to remember and am
|enjoying programming in Ruby (especially on Rails). So far I've found
|nothing "new" (to me) in Ruby, with the exception of the lisp-like
|features and that's something I'd really like to explore.

|Anyone able to point me to a resource please?

Ruby is a language designed in the following steps:

  * take a simple lisp language (like one prior to CL).
  * remove macros, s-expression.
  * add simple object system (much simpler than CLOS).
  * add blocks, inspired by higher order functions.
  * add methods found in Smalltalk.
  * add functionality found in Perl (in OO way).

So, Ruby was a Lisp originally, in theory.
Let's call it MatzLisp from now on. ;-)

							matz.
Bc6d88907ce09158581fbb9b469a35a3?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 05:59
(Received via mailing list)
Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> So, Ruby was a Lisp originally, in theory.
> Let's call it MatzLisp from now on. ;-)

Matth



--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"
430ea1cba106cc65b7687d66e9df4f06?d=identicon&s=25 David Vallner (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 06:09
(Received via mailing list)
DÅ?a Pondelok 13 Február 2006 05:43 Yukihiro Matsumoto napísal:
> Ruby is a language designed in the following steps:
>
>   * take a simple lisp language (like one prior to CL).
>   * remove macros, s-expression.
>   * add simple object system (much simpler than CLOS).
>   * add blocks, inspired by higher order functions.
>   * add methods found in Smalltalk.
>   * add functionality found in Perl (in OO way).
>

You forgot adding onions to taste.

> So, Ruby was a Lisp originally, in theory.
> Let's call it MatzLisp from now on. ;-)
>

I always thought of it as a Smalltalk / Perl crossbreed. Might be
because ST
ripped off the same features of lisp as Ruby does...

MatzLisp... MatzLisp... MatzLisp...
Cor, let's stay with "Ruby", I don't have enough paper tissues to wipe
spit
off people if I had to pronounce that ;)

David Vallner
Bc6d88907ce09158581fbb9b469a35a3?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 22:05
(Received via mailing list)
Bil Kleb wrote:
> Is there a Friday,
>
>  http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/fridays.html
>
> on Rake in the works?
>
> I want one.
>


In the interim, any chance of the Rake  wiki being restored from spam
hell?

http://rake.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

(I've never bothered using the wiki for any of my RubyForge projects, so
I don't know if fighting spam there is a lost cause.)

--
James Britt

"You harmonize; then you customize."
  - Wilson Pickett
10d4acbfdaccb4eee687a428ca00a5d8?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Weirich (weirich)
on 2006-02-13 22:21
James Britt wrote:
> In the interim, any chance of the Rake  wiki being restored from spam
> hell?
>
> http://rake.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl
>
> (I've never bothered using the wiki for any of my RubyForge projects, so
> I don't know if fighting spam there is a lost cause.

The wiki is a lost cause.  It was way to much work to keep it despammed.
I disabled it from the rubyforge interface, but apparently the wiki is
still running if you got there directly with the URL.

All the information that used to be on the wiki is available (in one
form or another) at http://docs.rubyrake.org/.

I will update the main wiki page to point people to the new docs, but
chances are that spammers will just overwrite it.

--
-- Jim Weirich
Bc6d88907ce09158581fbb9b469a35a3?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 22:37
(Received via mailing list)
Jim Weirich wrote:
>
> The wiki is a lost cause.  It was way to much work to keep it despammed.
> I disabled it from the rubyforge interface, but apparently the wiki is
> still running if you got there directly with the URL.

Ah.  Sad.


>
> All the information that used to be on the wiki is available (in one
> form or another) at http://docs.rubyrake.org/.
>
> I will update the main wiki page to point people to the new docs, but
> chances are that spammers will just overwrite it.
>

Can you lock it with chmod?


Oh, and why I went to the wiki in the first place:

   How can I call one Rake task from inside another task?


Thanks,


James

--
James Britt

"You harmonize; then you customize."
  - Wilson Pickett
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Copeland (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 22:40
(Received via mailing list)
> > The wiki is a lost cause.  It was way to much work to keep it
> > despammed.
> > I disabled it from the rubyforge interface, but apparently
> the wiki is
> > still running if you got there directly with the URL.
>
> Ah.  Sad.

Yup, I need to fix that... it's been on my List Of Things To Do for a
while...

Yours,

Tom
10d4acbfdaccb4eee687a428ca00a5d8?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Weirich (weirich)
on 2006-02-13 23:00
James Britt wrote:
> Jim Weirich wrote:
>>
>> The wiki is a lost cause.  It was way to much work to keep it despammed.
>> I disabled it from the rubyforge interface, but apparently the wiki is
>> still running if you got there directly with the URL.
>
> Ah.  Sad.
>
>
>>
>> All the information that used to be on the wiki is available (in one
>> form or another) at http://docs.rubyrake.org/.
>>
>> I will update the main wiki page to point people to the new docs, but
>> chances are that spammers will just overwrite it.
>>
>
> Can you lock it with chmod?

Lacking shell access on rubyforge makes this difficult to do stuff like
that.  However, I see Tom has seen this thread.  Perhaps he will be
gently nudged to do something :)

> Oh, and why I went to the wiki in the first place:
>
>    How can I call one Rake task from inside another task?

Just for you, I started a FAQ section in the User Guide.  See
http://docs.rubyrake.org/read/chapter/10#page38.

Does that answer your question?
4feed660d3728526797edeb4f0467384?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Kelly (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 23:12
(Received via mailing list)
From: "Tom Copeland" <tom@infoether.com>
> while...
Sorry for jumping into the middle of the thread, if this has
already been discussed...

I was wondering if there might be any simple way to limit access to
the wiki to just folks with project admin access.  Maybe disable
the normal page edit link, and move it to some URL only reachable
by logged-in admins?

My thinking is that wikis can still be a handy way to author/maintain
documentation, even if the "globally editable" aspect is no
longer sustainable due to hoodlums.

Just a thought - and, regardless: thanks VERY much for rubyforge !!!!!


Regards,

Bill
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Copeland (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 23:15
(Received via mailing list)
> > Can you lock it with chmod?
>
> Lacking shell access on rubyforge makes this difficult to do
> stuff like
> that.  However, I see Tom has seen this thread.  Perhaps he will be
> gently nudged to do something :)

Yup, priority += 1... and now I've actually written it down!

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...
tid=104

So hopefully I'll be able to get it done...

Yours,

Tom
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Copeland (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 23:18
(Received via mailing list)
> editable" aspect is no
> longer sustainable due to hoodlums.

Yup, that's a good idea.  If UseMod (that's the Wiki RubyForge uses)
supports something like that, it'd be great.

> Just a thought - and, regardless: thanks VERY much for rubyforge !!!!!

You're quite welcome!

Yours,

Tom
Bc6d88907ce09158581fbb9b469a35a3?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
on 2006-02-13 23:31
(Received via mailing list)
Jim Weirich wrote:
> James Britt wrote:
...

>>Oh, and why I went to the wiki in the first place:
>>
>>   How can I call one Rake task from inside another task?
>
>
> Just for you, I started a FAQ section in the User Guide.  See
> http://docs.rubyrake.org/read/chapter/10#page38.
>
> Does that answer your question?

Jim, you're the greatest.

Thanks!


--
James Britt

"A principle or axiom is of no value without the rules for applying it."
   - Len Bullard
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.