Forum: Ruby Quickly before all is lost!

622fa8560c82dfaa59c91ec75efb0c19?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Combas (Guest)
ZOMG! Ruby RSS feeds growing exponentially!

Some type of PLANET aggragator is sorely needed, and quickly too.
We must quarantine all these malicious ruby bloggers before
they take over the entire Internet! They have shifty eyes!
They're planning to cross the streams, i can feel it, and we well
know how bad that would be.

There, I've said it.
If I unexpectedly die, know that it was no accident.
Alex Combas wrote:
> ZOMG! Ruby RSS feeds growing exponentially!
>
> Some type of PLANET aggragator is sorely needed, and quickly too.
> We must quarantine all these malicious ruby bloggers before
> they take over the entire Internet! They have shifty eyes!
> They're planning to cross the streams, i can feel it, and we well
> know how bad that would be.

There are a few.  Artima's Ruby Buzz is one.

> There, I've said it.
> If I unexpectedly die, know that it was no accident.

Fowl play?

The duck did it.

But he left this clue:

http://www.rubygarden.com/ruby?RssFeeds

--
James Britt

"A principle or axiom is of no value without the rules for applying it."
   - Len Bullard
622fa8560c82dfaa59c91ec75efb0c19?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Combas (Guest)

> There are a few.  Artima's Ruby Buzz is one.

Thanks!

However I was really more hoping for http://planet.ruby-lang.org/

Not http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123

But I guess that does the trick for now.

> Fowl play?
>
> The duck did it.

we all have our bills to pay.. ;p
Alex Combas wrote:

> However I was really more hoping for http://planet.ruby-lang.org/

There are two "Planet Ruby" sites, one in Japanese, one in English.

I just can't think of their names.

Now, if everyone with an RSS feed of some sort listed it on RubyGarden,
it would be easier to find them.

Just a thought.

>>Fowl play?
>>
>>The duck did it.
>>

> we all have our bills to pay.. ;p

Freakin' quacks ...
--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"
DÅ?a Nedeľa 12 Február 2006 02:56 James Britt napísal:

> Just a thought.
>
> >>Fowl play?
> >>
> >>The duck did it.
> >
> > we all have our bills to pay.. ;p
>
> Freakin' quacks ...

Right. I'm worried. Now comes the part where you knock on my door with a
trout
and a paddle?

David Vallner
0b561a629b87f0bbf71b45ee5a48febb?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Burt (Guest)
James Britt wrote:
> Now, if everyone with an RSS feed of some sort listed it on RubyGarden, it
> would be easier to find them.

Here? --> http://rubygarden.org/ruby?RssFeeds

Cheers,
Dave
Hi --

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Dave Burt wrote:

> James Britt wrote:
>> Now, if everyone with an RSS feed of some sort listed it on RubyGarden, it
>> would be easier to find them.
>
> Here? --> http://rubygarden.org/ruby?RssFeeds

James had already mentioned that URL.  I think his latter point was
just: people should use it :-)

David

--
David A. Black (dblack@wobblini.net)
Ruby Power and Light (http://www.rubypowerandlight.com)

"Ruby for Rails" chapters now available
622fa8560c82dfaa59c91ec75efb0c19?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Combas (Guest)
> James had already mentioned that URL.  I think his latter point was
> just: people should use it :-)

But my point was that if you go here http://rubygarden.org/
and scroll down a bit you'll see that there is a list of over
23 personal ruby blogs from developers. This is not even a very
complete list. My personall rss feeds are almost as big
and half of them are not listed on rubygarden.

It would be really nice if we could get a http://planet.ruby-lang.org
Look at Planet Gnome for an example http://planet.gnome.org

For the time being artima has something similar listed here
http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123

But having a good url makes a world of difference (pun intentional).
Alex Combas wrote:
> 23 personal ruby blogs from developers. This is not even a very
> complete list. My personall rss feeds are almost as big
> and half of them are not listed on rubygarden.

Which was part of the point I was trying to make.

> It would be really nice if we could get a http://planet.ruby-lang.org
> Look at Planet Gnome for an example http://planet.gnome.org

How does such an aggregator acquire all the pertinent feeds? Is it any
harder than maintaining a wiki page?  Is there a reliable Google search
that will return a list of Ruby RSS/Atom feeds?

Perhaps I misunderstand how such "planet" feeds work, but I don't really
want to read every post from every blogger who asserts some manner of
Rubytude.  Nor do I want someone else deciding what feeds are worthy of
inclusion.  I want to pick and choose, and add the feeds of choice to my
Bloglines account.

Now, there is this site:

http://rubyplanet.net/

But I can't find its RSS or Atom feed, nor can I see what blogs it is
collecting.  Appears to be a RailsPlanet site, though. (And, unrelated
gripe, it links to an outdated Ruby library reference.)

> For the time being artima has something similar listed here
> http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123
>
> But having a good url makes a world of difference (pun intentional).

Only if you know it.

--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"
622fa8560c82dfaa59c91ec75efb0c19?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Combas (Guest)
> > But my point was that if you go here http://rubygarden.org/
> > and scroll down a bit you'll see that there is a list of over
> > 23 personal ruby blogs from developers. This is not even a very
> > complete list. My personall rss feeds are almost as big
> > and half of them are not listed on rubygarden.
>
> Which was part of the point I was trying to make.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across with any attitude but
I think on re-reading your post and my post I think I miss understood
you at first glance.

First email of the day, some slack should be cut :)

> Rubytude.  Nor do I want someone else deciding what feeds are worthy of
> inclusion.  I want to pick and choose, and add the feeds of choice to my Bloglines
account.

That's entirely your choice, there will be nobody pointing
guns at you demanding that you view any web pages that
you don't want to, nor will any existing pages be deleted stopping
you from carrying on your current activities ;)

Its really quite a simple setup, the aggregate software
is hosted here, OSS free download, requires python to run though.
http://www.planetplanet.org/

You need a web server to run the software obviously, and
an active maintainer is also necessary because you must
setup which blogs you want monitored, planet will then
catch new posts and.. well.. aggregate them into a website.
Yes, it should be setup to show which feeds it is monitoring,
as well as having google searchable rss links.

The website is also skinable, check out sites running planets

http://planet.gnome.org
http://planetkde.org/
http://planet.mozilla.org/
http://planet.perl.org/
http://www.planetpython.org/
http://planetjava.org/

> Now, there is this site:
>
> http://rubyplanet.net/
>
> But I can't find its RSS or Atom feed, nor can I see what blogs it is
> collecting.  Appears to be a RailsPlanet site, though. (And, unrelated
> gripe, it links to an outdated Ruby library reference.)

That does not seem to be running the planet software that I
I am trying to suggest, I agree with your gripes that is a
really poor website (apologies to the maintainer).

> > For the time being artima has something similar listed here
> > http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123
> >
> > But having a good url makes a world of difference (pun intentional).
>
> Only if you know it.

Well ideally I would say a google search for "ruby blog" should
return an aggregate type planet of all ruby developers instead
of just, oh just for example, Matz blog (if he even has one, which
is probably written in Japanese if it exists).

Now google could quite easily return these as its top two results:
#1 http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123/
#2 http://planet.ruby-lang.org/

Which do you think will get more clicks, further more, which _should_
be getting more clicks? All kudos's to artima, but they're mainly
a java house iirc, so having a choice between being on a sub domain of
a java house, or having a specific ruby planet I would have to say the
latter is better.

That's all I'm trying to say. I know its probably not going to happen
because I cant personally spend the time, and don't have the
resources or the permission to do so.

But I just thought I would throw this out there and see
what people thought. Its definitly an idea.
Alex Combas wrote:

> Sorry I didn't mean to come across with any attitude but
> I think on re-reading your post and my post I think I miss understood
> you at first glance.
>
> First email of the day, some slack should be cut :)

Oh, of course, and I didn't read any attitude into your post.

But, now that you mention it ...

:)

>>>It would be really nice if we could get a http://planet.ruby-lang.org

Except that such a URL suggests  it is an "official" Ruby feed site, and
all issues associated with that (what feeds are included, or left out,
who decides this, is content restricted, and so on).

> That's entirely your choice, there will be nobody pointing
> guns at you demanding that you view any web pages that
> you don't want to, nor will any existing pages be deleted stopping
> you from carrying on your current activities ;)

Of course.   Such sites may suit many people, but there is still a need
for some reasonably updated list of feeds for people who want to
assemble their own feed buffet.  A Planet-type site, assuming it also
listed its sources, could possibly do that, but it runs into something
of the same problem as with the RubyGarden wiki page:  How does it stay
up-to-date?  A core group of people scoring the Web for new sites? Site
owners adding/amending their own sites?  Some mix of these?

The interesting thing about the RubyGarden page is that, to me, the
sense of a shared culture in the Ruby community is getting stretched
thinner and thinner.  There are many people who first think of the wiki
as the place to add or look for things, while there are many who may not
even know the wiki exists.  We end up with multiple places that are all
attempting the same task.  (I'm not entirely sure that is a bad thing,
or if the alternatives are any better, but I can see problems with it).

Pop quiz: Where do you go to see if some Ruby user group exists?

> as well as having google searchable rss links.

I've no doubt someone has already written such a beast using Rails.
Probably more than one person.

The issue is not software, but maintenance.  I tend to prefer a means of
autodiscovery rather than rely on, or burden, any group of people to
stay on top of things.  (For example, a reasonably unique phrase in a
site's metadata might make it easily locatable via search engines. )

>>>For the time being artima has something similar listed here
>>>http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123
>>>
>>>But having a good url makes a world of difference (pun intentional).
>>
>>Only if you know it.

> Now google could quite easily return these as its top two results:
> #1 http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123/
> #2 http://planet.ruby-lang.org/
>
> Which do you think will get more clicks, further more, which _should_
> be getting more clicks?

Depends on the description and page title shown by the search engine.
One nice thing about search engines is that catchy URLs are increasingly
less important.  But I get your point.   (Though I wonder how many
people know what the 'planet' part of the URL implies.  It's not
intrinsic to the word itself, so it, again, becomes a cultural matter.)

 > All kudos's to artima, but they're mainly
> a java house iirc, so having a choice between being on a sub domain of
> a java house, or having a specific ruby planet I would have to say the
> latter is better.

Artima hosts Ruby Code & Style and The C++ Journal.  From discussions
with Bill Venner, I would be reluctant to simply label Artima  "mainly a
Java house."

> That's all I'm trying to say. I know its probably not going to happen
> because I cant personally spend the time, and don't have the
> resources or the permission to do so.

This is an issue for many people, and why distributed resources are
often a better option.

--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"
D63c268960051bc17a310aa29fffd979?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Cantrell (Guest)
>> However I was really more hoping for http://planet.ruby-lang.org/

google "planet ruby"
=> http://planetruby.0x42.net/

:)
Dave Cantrell wrote:
>>> However I was really more hoping for http://planet.ruby-lang.org/
>

> google "planet ruby"
> => http://planetruby.0x42.net/
>
> :)

:(

They have the wrong feed for my site.

They'll end up getting *every* post I make, not only the Ruby ones.

And their list of feeds is way too small.

Oh well.  The Web's a big place.

--
James Britt

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly
  universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded
by
  uncertainty cannot be the truth."
  - R. Feynman
On 2/12/06, Dave Cantrell <ruby-talk@deadcantrant.com> wrote:
> >> However I was really more hoping for http://planet.ruby-lang.org/
>
> google "planet ruby"
> => http://planetruby.0x42.net/
>
> :)

Now thats what Im talking about!
Talk about a time machine you can dance with.

You wouldnt happen to be, or at least know who
the maintainer is do you?
Alex Combas wrote:
>> => http://planetruby.0x42.net/
> You wouldnt happen to be, or at least know who
> the maintainer is do you?

No earthly idea. I just googled and it was there.