Forum: Ruby facet gem versions

9a46755c817121b0571a563e5ab02090?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Buckley (brian)
The facet gems currently installed my system are

facets (2005.10.30, 2005.10.15, 1.0.2)
    The proverbial Zoo-of-More for Ruby
facets_core (1.0.2)
    Vast collection of atomic core extension methods.
facets_more (1.0.2)
    Large collection of additional classes, modules and microframeworks.

If I open a new IRB session type a "require" line without first a
"require_gem", the method added in comes from (facets 2005.10.30)
require 'facet/float/approx'

But if I do a require_gem statement prior to the same require line, the
method comes from (facets_core 1.0.2)
require_gem 'facets_core'
require 'facet/float/approx'

There seems to be a (dangerous?) mixing of lines of gems here.  Also I
had
been thinking "require_gem" was optional and only needed when a version
other than the most recent was needed.

My questions:
Are 'facets_core'/'facets_more' the active lines now, and is it
advisable to
uninstall the gems from the old 'facets' line [including saying Y those
dependency warnings])?

In general is the "require_gem" line necessary when using gems and an
error
to omit it even when one just wants to use the most recent version?

Thanks.

Brian K. Buckley
DÅ?a Sobota 11 Február 2006 21:59 Brian Buckley napísal:
> "require_gem", the method added in comes from (facets 2005.10.30)
>

> Brian K. Buckley

#require_gem does that, requires a gem by its name. But requiring
'rubygems'
also changes the semantics of #require - now it searches the gems as if
they
all were in site_ruby.

They aren't being mixed, 'facets' is just a metagem that depends on
facets_core and facets_more - both of those gems share the same "library
namespace"

Generally, it's more common to use #require instead of #require_gem.

David Vallner
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Trans (Guest)
As of 1.0.3 I've instructed RubyGems to search in two places, namely
packages/core/lib and packages/more/lib. This way I have (finally) been
able to combine the two parts in one seemless facets.gem.

T.