Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails 1.1?

F68e4842b0a5487678e26046fdb2fdf3?d=identicon&s=25 softwareengineer 99 (Guest)
I have a few very basic questions.

  Is anyone using rails 1.1?
  How/Where can I get Rails 1.1 (I don't see it on RubyonRails.org?
  What are the issues involved in moving from Rails 1.0 to Rails 1.1?
  If I move to Rails 1.1, can I downgrade? Just curious.

  Frank
On Feb 10, 2006, at 7:52 PM, softwareengineer 99 wrote:

> Is anyone using rails 1.1?

It's not out yet.

> How/Where can I get Rails 1.1 (I don't see it on RubyonRails.org?

If you're using system installed gems, you can get the
current Rails subversion HEAD via:

rake freeze_edge

> If I move to Rails 1.1, can I downgrade? Just curious.

rake unfreeze_rails

--
-- Tom Mornini
F68e4842b0a5487678e26046fdb2fdf3?d=identicon&s=25 softwareengineer 99 (Guest)

  I don't know why I thought Rails 1.1 was out.

  The main thing is that I currently have Rails 1.0 installed and would
like to use

  # visual_effect :toggle_slide, Â?elementÂ?

  as stated here
  http://ajaxian.com/archives/scriptaculous-151-incl...

  However, I cannot seem to find where can I get the bleeding edge?

  If I run the following command, will I get the bleeding edge?
  # rake freeze_edge

  Thank you once again for your assistance.

  Frank

Tom Mornini <tmornini@infomania.com> wrote:  On Feb 10, 2006, at 7:52
PM, softwareengineer 99 wrote:

> Is anyone using rails 1.1?

It's not out yet.

> How/Where can I get Rails 1.1 (I don't see it on RubyonRails.org?

If you're using system installed gems, you can get the
current Rails subversion HEAD via:

rake freeze_edge

> If I move to Rails 1.1, can I downgrade? Just curious.

rake unfreeze_rails

--
-- Tom Mornini
> http://ajaxian.com/archives/scriptaculous-151-incl...
>
>  However, I cannot seem to find where can I get the bleeding edge?
>
>  If I run the following command, will I get the bleeding edge?
>  # rake freeze_edge

yes

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/EdgeRails
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
I have a related question which the wiki article doesn't quite
answer...or
rather it still leaves me confused.
Here's my situtation. I develop using radrails on 3 Debian Sarge
machines,
at work, at home and on a laptop. All are configured identically to use
gem
rails. Gem rails were installed as root and so they are in
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems.  Currently I just copy the entire project
directory including the radrails workspace to a usb flash drive and move
from one to the other which works great. However I'd like to use
subversion
and am planning to set up my project repository on a server. I'd still
like
to keep the gem rails on all three for certain projects.

What confuses me is the need for a seperate trunk in /tmp even though
the
entire trunk is in vendor rails. Why is this needed?  Should I setup
edge_rails as root or does it have to be installed as 'user' in /tmp or
in
/vendor/rails for a given project? Is there some way to setup both gem
rails
and edge_rails and select one or the other at project creation time? Any
help here will be greatly appreciated.

Kyle,

Is there some way to select  gem vs. edge_rails form radrails?

bakki kudva

On 2/10/06, Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/10/06, softwareengineer 99 <softwareengineer99@yahoo.com> wrote:

F68e4842b0a5487678e26046fdb2fdf3?d=identicon&s=25 softwareengineer 99 (Guest)
Thanks Pat for the resource.
  Frank

Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com> wrote:  yes

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/EdgeRails
5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Otwell (Guest)
>  The main thing is that I currently have Rails 1.0 installed and
>would like to use
>
>  # visual_effect :toggle_slide, �element�

That's in Rails 1.0, you can use it right now. See:
http://rails.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActionView/Helpers/
JavaScriptHelper.html#M000443

The effects aren't listed anywhere, but you should be able to figure
them out from the set available in Scriptaculous: :blind_down, :fade,
:hilight, etc.