Forum: Ruby how to test a ruby class

Aeb5e3e7aa7d9f1f18456e97897ada7c?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
> Hi:  I just installed Ruby and have FreeRIDE open.  In Ruby, is there a
> method comparable to the "main" method in java that will run the class for
> testing?
> I would like to run my class from the IDE.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended
solely
for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message or
if
this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately
alert
the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any
attachments.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution, copying, or storage of this message or any
attachments is strictly prohibited.
6a28ba6ec44cf691eb4f4d7d40e094e5?d=identicon&s=25 Craig Demyanovich (Guest)
On Feb 10, 2006, at 2:08 PM, doug.baker@ficoh.com wrote:

>> Hi:  I just installed Ruby and have FreeRIDE open.  In Ruby, is
>> there a
>> method comparable to the "main" method in java that will run the
>> class for
>> testing?
>> I would like to run my class from the IDE.

An alternative to ad-hoc testing in an IDE or via the command line is
using independent, repeatable tests, i.e., unit testing. Mike Clark
has a good, brief introduction to unit tests as learning tests here:
http://www.clarkware.com/cgi/blosxom/2005/03/18. Also, you can find
the docs for Test::Unit, Ruby's built-in unit testing framework,
here: http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/test/unit/rd...
Test/Unit.html.

Regards,
Craig
DÅ?a Piatok 10 Február 2006 20:08 doug.baker@ficoh.com napísal:
> > Hi:  I just installed Ruby and have FreeRIDE open.  In Ruby, is there a
> > method comparable to the "main" method in java that will run the class
> > for testing?
> > I would like to run my class from the IDE.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Doug

My two cents follow: I can't stand the very sight of people making a
script or
class executable for the sake of testing - main() methods and the like
are
supposed to execute a standalone program, and that's that. If you want
test, then do it properly, create a separate hierarchy of files with
unit
tests. It's just as easy, if not easier to write, and you don't clutter
your
business logic with test code.

David Vallner