Forum: Ruby on Rails Theme wanted for new Rails CMS

4bd34a2216dc8bdbf1f017f64e4d59e8?d=identicon&s=25 Kyle Maxwell (Guest)
Hi all,
I just finished building a CMS (open source, MIT license, same as RoR)
that is aimed at people with portfolios: graphic designers,
photographers, web developers, etc.  Since this fits the Rails
demographic well, and I plan to continue actively developing the
project, I expect it to be a hit.  Some features:

* 100% semantic XHTML
* Built on Ruby on Rails
* AJAXified administration
* Revision management
* Textile/Markdown-driven editing
* File uploads and image thumbnailing

If you are inclined, you can view an early version in my svn
repository at http://svn.kylemaxwell.com/showcase/trunk.

I'd like to get a project page for it up and running soon, but I need
a decent design for the home page.  I will end up adapting it to the
sub-pages, and it will end up as the default theme for the CMS itself.

In return, you get:
* warm fuzzies for contributing to the Rails community
* a prominent mention and link on the project home page, and in each
of the downloads.

I have attached an XHTML file, which, if you are interested, you can
style a la CSS Zen Garden (email me CSS + images).  You can add a few
divs if you are inclined, but please keep the code as semantic as you
can.  After a week or two, I'll use the best theme I get, and I'll
package up the rest of the submitted themes and include them in the
download.

Thanks a ton, and feel free to ask
--
Kyle Maxwell
Chief Technologist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<head>
  "HTML Tidy for Mac OS X (vers 1st December 2004), see www.w3.org" />
  "Content-Type" />

  <title>Showcase on Rails</title>
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text.css" href="styles.css" />
</head>

  <ul class="navigation">

  </ul>

  <h1>Showcase on Rails</h1>

  <h2>portfolio-driven content management</h2>

  <h3>Welcome</h3>

    under construction.</p>

    sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna
    aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation
    ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis
    aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse
    cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat
    cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt
    mollit anim id est laborum.</p>

    <h4>Features</h4>
    <!--This next list is inline and not special like the navigation
lists-->

    <ul>
      <li>100% semantic XHTML</li>

      <li>Built on Ruby on Rails</li>

      <li>AJAXified administration</li>

      <li>Revision management</li>

      <li>Textile/Markdown-driven editing</li>
    </ul>

    sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna
    aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation
    ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis
    aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse
    cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat
    cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt
    mollit anim id est laborum.</p>

  <ul class="categories">

  </ul>

Ad91bce9c9a8c68b6942607e4721f74e?d=identicon&s=25 Beate Paland (Guest)
Hi Kyle,

just tested your CMS. Here a few things I noticed:
- in the Admin-Backend are missing some clears to break the floats (in
categories).
- I didn't see some posibilities to upload any images. Is this still
missing?
- in the frontend there should be more divs, at least on
container-div, a content-div and one for navigation.

But the rest is nice :)

HTH,
Beate
51f10739fd903d3b57561a15e4598954?d=identicon&s=25 M Daggett (Guest)
Kyle,
You got further than I did. I was not able to get anything working at
all.
I got the trunk version
looked for docs (none were found)
created the databases
ran migrate
ran rake (functional tests failed)
started the server and was unable to get anything working except error
messages that said things like "Please create a project".

A procedural install process would be very helpful :-).

Look forward to trying it out.
Mark

On 2/9/06, Beate Paland <bpaland@gmail.com> wrote:

> HTH,
> Beate

4bd34a2216dc8bdbf1f017f64e4d59e8?d=identicon&s=25 Kyle Maxwell (Guest)
> - in the Admin-Backend are missing some clears to break the floats (in
> categories).

I just whipped together a stylesheet in about ten minutes that makes
the thing look passable in Safari.  I'd love to have this themed
and/or improved, but for the moment, my priority is to have the
backend usable and the frontend pretty.  As the project matures, I
want to make the backend all-around kick-ass, and I expect the
frontend to be customized more and more by end users.

> - I didn't see some posibilities to upload any images. Is this still missing?

You can upload images and other files into projects Categories > Edit
Project > New Thumbnail.  I've been thinking that I need to add a
general image toolbox, maybe that will generate Textile markup for the
images.  I'm kinda waiting on my file_column + form_remote_tag
integration project to really kick the images into high gear.

> - in the frontend there should be more divs, at least on
> container-div, a content-div and one for navigation.

I agree.  I'm hoping that this is determined by the theme designer,
who should add a few at his/her liberty.

Thanks for the feedback!  I really appreciate it.